Substitute Teacher Remarks.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by missc, Mar 25, 2006.

1. missc

missc Rookie

Mar 25, 2006

Hello! My name is Amber and I have just become a substitute teacher about a month ago. I am currently majoring in early childhood education. at my local college and learning a lot about this field.

I was wondering if a few teachers could tell me what they look for in a substitute teacher. What types of things have you noticed has helped you out (certain notes left...etc). Also, please note any things "bad" that past substitutes have done that you wish they had not.

I would like to learn from other teachers so that I may become a better substitute. In return it will hopefully help me in securing a job in the future. I appreciate any replies and to those who took to time to read this.:thanks:

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 26, 2006

I'm not a teacher yet, but I've been a sub for a long time. This is generally common sense stuff, so I'm sure you probably know this, but here are some things to remember: Of course leave the room in a very orderly fashion. Take a little extra time at the end to make sure the kids clean up well, even if you have to scan the room after the kids left to make sure everything's in order & things are off the floor. Always leave a note of how the day went. The note shouldn't be too short & broad where it just says that the day was good or bad, but it doesn't have to be a 2 page report either. Include important details, such as: Which students were especially helpful or had excellent behavior and those who gave you trouble, what class work gave the majority of the class trouble (so the teacher knows what lessons to reiterate the next day), & any unique events that arise. Keep original notes on the teacher's desk such as: Nurse passes if you had to send anyone to the nurse, notes stating that a student went home early, phone messages & things of that nature. And of course if the students were supposed to bring something back such as field trip slips, book orders, signed progress reports, notes from parents, etc., you'll want to leave each type of note in it's own neat pile attached w/ a paper clip.

Try your best to complete everything in the teacher's plans. If you didn't have time to get to something, explain why in your note to the teacher. Put all of the day's books & materials in a neat pile on the teacher's desk.

If behavior was so bad where you had to rearrange the kids desks, just make sure to put them back in their original places at the end of the day. Good luck subbing!

4. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Mar 26, 2006

I really like to see that a sub made an effort to follow my lesson plans and complete needed work. I always leave more than should be needed so I don't expect it all to be completed. You would be surprised at how many subs don't do anything I have left for them. The other thing is to wait and let me give out awards etc. We have AR goas that the kids work for and I have a system to keep up with them. The last sub that I had gave 3 certificates for AR levels so when I got back and checked points at the end of the week, I awarded those same kids a second time.

5. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Mar 26, 2006

I agree with luvmykids. We have a sub in our school that just does as she pleases. On one hand it is understandable, but on the other hand, it messes up all the future lesson plans that were already written down for the rest of the week or the following week. I think behsci gave you lots of great advice. I agree with all of it.

Best of luck on your subbing venture. You are obviously someone who cares about doing what's right and finding out how to better yourself. I think you'll be great!

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 26, 2006

I agree with the above, but would like to add: if something did happen or go wrong, please tell me about it - you can be sure the students will tell the next day! I had a sub say once that she didn't want to report a problem because she was afraid it would make it look like she couldn't handle the class; I would not worry about that, it is more important to know what went on.
    Good luck!

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 26, 2006

Please, please do the plans!! When my grandmother passed away I left plans on my desk, in a crate, everything in folders, clearly marked for what day they were for. The sub did none of my plans!!

When I came back I saw this note that had when my plan times were & what looked like her handwritten plans. As I explored my desk further I realized she had written her own plans, using papers that were copied for when I returned! She had not touched the crate, other then to move it off of my desk.

I was so frustrated to find that mess.

8. JoeInTraining

JoeInTraining Companion

Mar 26, 2006

Did you say early childhood education? My girlfreind has that diploma and she cannot teach or substitute here in Ontario... can she? she is going to university so that she can get a degree and go to teachers college if she chooses to persue it. You did say majoring so maybe you are getting somthing more advanced.

9. missc

missc Rookie

Mar 26, 2006

I live in Georgia. To become a substitute teacher you must only have your GED or high school diploma. You do however, get paid much more for college experience...etc. I know with most states you have to be a certified teacher before you can sub, so Georgia is one of the few that have it another way.

10. BeccaK

BeccaK Companion

Mar 26, 2006

Thats strange JoeInTraining....around here it's the same as missc...GED or high school diploma...i am also in college for early childhood education. When I graduate in 1 1/2 years....I will be able to teach where ever I want or well wherever I can get a job..

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 26, 2006

Most districts in my area require 60 college credits to be a substitute, but there are a few that require a 4 year degree. I don't know of any that require the person to be a licensed teacher to be a day to day sub, but most require long-term substitutes to be licensed.

12. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 26, 2006

Ohio requires substitute teachers to have a four-year degree, although it doesn't necessarily have to be in education. Also, the substitute must have a certificate from the state.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 26, 2006

Joe, I am sure that your girlfriend could sub if she had a B.Ed. with a minor in Early Childhood. Is her Early Childhood diploma from a 2 year program? -- this could be why she cannot sub and teach in a public school. Has she looked into teaching preschool?

FYI. Joe is responding from Canada and in most public education schools in Canada, you have to have a B.Ed. to be a substitute teacher. And unless things have changed since I have been gone, student teachers are unable to sub -- they don't have that piece of paper.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 26, 2006

Usually an Early Childhood Education degree covers preschool to grade3 or birth to K, depending on the college.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 26, 2006

This is not necessarily true in Canada. It depends on where you go to school. You could get an ECE diploma and an ECE degree. Diplomas and degrees are usually not interchangeable terms in Canada. You could get a diploma in 2 years or less - used to cost less but it is not part of the B. Ed. program. Most people with an ECE diploma work in daycare, are preschool teachers or parapros./teacher assistants. They cannot become a teacher in the primary grades (K-3) in a school. However, you can teach in a school with an ECE degree.

16. JoeInTraining

JoeInTraining Companion

Mar 27, 2006

Ah I see so in the states an ECE is a degree then. She has an EXE college diploma (2 yrs). That is why she is going to University to persue a degree. See the only way to teach in Canada is to have a 3-4 year degree (usually Teachers college only accepts 4 yr degrees) and your 1 yr bED cert.

17. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2006

I really respect subs that have a management system and a bag full of tricks just in case my lesson plan doesn't go well. Also, never bad mouth any classes and say you'd rather not sub for a certain grade. We had one that did that just recently with my class and she's not being asked back.

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 27, 2006

I think it's ok to say what grade levels you want to sub for, and maybe say if you don't want to sub in PE or Music.......

19. KarToTeach

KarToTeach Rookie

Mar 27, 2006

In Canadaan Early Childhood Education Diploma is a 2 year program taken at a Colleg enabling you to work in daycare centres. An Education Degree is for teaching K-12. Here you must have a teaching degree in order to substitute teach.

As a sub NEVER say no!! I heard two teachers talking and one of them had had a sub in and when that sub had been asked to do some work with her students and another class she had said no. She's not being asked to go back. You should be flexible and be able to "go with the flow" when things like that arise (it had beento do some reading with grade alike students).