Substitute on the last day?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by K-5_teacherguy, Apr 17, 2017.

1. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Apr 17, 2017

Due to some events that are beyond my control, it is looking like I may have to miss the final two days of the school year because I will be out of town. The second to last day is just Field Day, which won't be a huge deal for me to miss. But I am a little concerned about being out on the last day!

If you had to miss the last day, would you just leave the same plans for a sub that you would follow yourself? The afternoon is pretty much covered with a concert and then the 5th grade clap out, but the morning will be wide open. I feel bad for potentially missing this day, but I'm afraid if I leave any kind of games or fun activities for a sub, my class will take advantage and make the day a struggle and/or unpleasant for everyone, which is not how I want them to spend their last day of elementary school. Any insights or ideas for what this morning could look like? Thanks!

3. CherryOak

CherryOak Rookie

Apr 17, 2017

Busy work would be harder for me than games as a sub on that day. If I was your sub and I knew ahead of time, I'd be tempted to scrap any busy work left for me and have the students work on some type of goodbye/thank you project to be left for you. Maybe this could be arranged with another teacher causing the change in plans. ? Is there any hope in connecting with a good sub over the next weeks and booking him/her for both days? It's amazing what a difference being in a room more than once can make.

Southern JC likes this.
  4. Anonymous Barbie

Anonymous Barbie Rookie

Apr 20, 2017

Check your school's policies on this, as mine were really rigid. I had to pick my husband up from a deployment in the last 10 days of school, and I had to get special permission from the superintendent to use a personal day for this.

Sick days are completely different.

But if you're giving finals, need to finalize grades, etc. it could be problematic. Just read the policies, talk to your superintendent. Be prepared to fight a little for the ability to take off those days.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:49 AM

And have your own personal goodbye/moving up type of time with your students before you leave so you and they have closure.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:34 AM

Why don't you just show a Disney sing-along movie like Frozen, Peter Pan, or The Little Mermaid? Or, any Disney movie would suffice.

If you're not into showing movies, could you just let the sub bring out some board games or do some directed drawing? Have you heard of KidsArtHub.com?

Also, you could search for some free activities on Teachers Pay Teachers. There are lots of engaging activities that the sub could do with the kids.

I would give the sub several different options and let them choose. Make it easy, fun, and open ended.

Southern JC likes this.
  7. Southern JC

Southern JC Companion

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:42 PM

I was thinking along the same lines as YoungTeacherGuy. Will the students be attending a full day on the last day of school? If not, I like the movie idea. If they are, I also like the idea Cherry Oak had about creating a goodbye book, but I would make this a simple coloring project and add the movies also.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:01 PM

Depending on your school's way it ends the year (i.e. desks to side of room? Moving classrooms? Have to take things down? etc...), I bet you could craft part of the time as a deep clean time, so long as you leave clear directions about that.

Also, again depending on what resources you have the last day or two (i.e. do they have art materials still available), you might look into having them do some "longer-term" projects, such as a math exploration that has low entry and a high ceiling, or a creation of a class story book...or whatnot (it's Friday - brain is fried ;)).

Perhaps it could also be a time where they could do a read-in outside for part of the day, especially if you have enough books...send them into summer break with a reading mindset!