Substitute and Instructional Aide

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Companion

Feb 8, 2017

I have recently started substitute teaching. I want to become a middle school teacher but most of the jobs I receive are elementary school. A lot of these classrooms have teacher assistants. I was wondering if it is normal that the aide takes over the class when there is a substitute. I've had varied experiences with this. Yesterday, I had an experience where the aide lead the class when she was in the room and also referred to me as the babysitter for the class which was odd. I have no issues with the aide leading the class since she knows the procedures and the students the best, but I don't want it to seem like I am slacking on my job in any way.

3. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Feb 8, 2017

It is very common to have the aide run the class, but she should not have referred to you as the baby-sitter.

czacza likes this.
  4. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Feb 9, 2017

It depends on the school or district. When I was substituting with Kelly Services, which is probably the most popular substitute booking agency in the country, it was told to me during orientation that the substitute is in charge during these situations. But, I do believe the associate should be left in charge since they're familiar with the students and classroom routines.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Companion

Feb 9, 2017

Ok I'm glad to know it was common. I think it is better for the students to have the aide be the teacher too in many cases. I just want to make sure I am doing my job well.

6. CherryOak

CherryOak Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

It's very common. Mostly, it really just makes sense. They know the drill and we don't. You are the teacher of record though, so quietly make sure the legalities (you know where they all are, all are out during a fire drill, etc.) are in the back of your mind.

Now when it really gets fun, is when you find one that seizes the authority opportunity and decides to treat you poorly and unprofessionally. Sigh......hard day. That's some tricky ground since we depend on our reputation. That's a room to turn down next time.

Most aides I've met are made of pure gold and know waaaaaaaaaay more than I do.

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Companion

Feb 9, 2017

I didn't really enjoy this particular aide because of the babysitter comment and a few other things but she was incredibly helpful and so good with the kids throughout the day. I was also never sitting and always circulating to help the kids.

In another classroom, there was an aide tha was just incredible. She was so helpful, kind and supportive.

8. Rookiewithexperience

Rookiewithexperience New Member

Feb 9, 2017

If theres anything I cant stand more is when I am referred to as "the SUB" which is everyday. I get it the our job can be very easy for what were paid. anyway, referring to your question, It honestly depends on how an aid treats you. You need to be confident and assertive when it comes to presenting who you are. Now, if you are comfortable with them taking over, great. But if your like me and constantly look to take your day as a learning experience, then I would kindly take control by doing the best I can do with the lesson plan provided for me. There are several times where I actually need that aid for control, (kinder) and we get along very well. I actually look up to her for ways she is with students. But you need to show confidence and ability that you are there for a reason.