Submit Resume by Email, SnailMail or by Hand?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by NittanyLioness, Feb 14, 2009.

1. NittanyLioness

NittanyLioness Rookie

Feb 14, 2009

Hi Guys,

I'm a grad student getting certified in Elementary Special Ed/General Ed and am starting to look for Teaching Assistant positions for next year to gain experience. What is the best approach for submitting resumes? I was thinking of personally bringing them into a few prime schools to hopefully make more of an impact. Is that too forward or even worth the time?

Thanks a bunch!

3. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 14, 2009

I'm going to be extremely blunt here.

I've been looking for a paraprofessional position now for a little over 2 months and have been coming up empty handed. Just finding jobs to apply for right now is difficult. And that's not just here, but across the country. Know that no matter how you approach this, you're in for an uphill battle.

It's also worth noting that many principals don't want to hire people like us (I say us because I'm a grad student too only I'm seeking a Master's in Secondary Education) because we lack experience. I'm finding that the vast majority of principals would rather hire someone who already has actual teacher certification versus someone who doesn't. Why? Apparently, they like having a hiring pool to choose from when teaching positions become available. In addition, certified individuals can apparently more in terms of also subbing, small group instruction, reading intervention, etc... . Not that people like us can't do those things either, but versatility the certification provides them with that better than it does without any certification whatsoever.

I'm NOT trying to scare you here, just telling you like it is.

By the way, there's some folks here looking for SPECED positions and are having a just as difficult time as everyone else. I'm also seeing elementary individuals going back to school to pursue secondary education for greater chances of employment because the elementary level is sooo overcrowded.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2009

I would email a cover letter with your resume first. Then follow that up with a hand delivered cover letter and resume in a few days.

5. frogger

frogger Devotee

Feb 14, 2009

I agree

6. NittanyLioness

NittanyLioness Rookie

Feb 14, 2009

Thanks so much guys!

7. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Feb 14, 2009

So if you mail the resume do you need to type the addresses on the envelope, label them or hand write them?

8. palla

palla Companion

Feb 14, 2009

I would type it, but I don't think it would hurt to hand write it. I just like the clean look of it typed.

9. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Feb 15, 2009

So now I have to go find a type writer. I have no idea where I would find one of those. lol

10. palla

palla Companion

Feb 15, 2009

Just do it on the computer. If the envelope won't fit, just a label. If neither of those work, I would just write the address! I don't think it is going to make or break you if the envelope is written or typed. It is what is in the envelope that really matters! :)

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

I agree to either type out the address or put it on the label.

12. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

Suburban,

People like us (Master's in Education) face a similar situation down here in FL - though P's in our district seem to want to hire a different type of population - they are most interested in hiring paras with just a hs diploma - they would much rather find somoeone with little or no career exp. and education who will be happy being a para for 20+ years - rather than someone who is currently an education student and is "using" the para position as a foot in the door.

13. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 15, 2009

I would go to the district's website and apply under classified. After taking all of the necessary tests i would e-mail my resume and cover letter. For private schools I would contact them directly. With your special ed. background you should be able to find something. I would suggest that you try middle and high schools as part of your job search. play up any math instruction you have had. That might be helpful.

14. NittanyLioness

NittanyLioness Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

I'm actually looking to work at a private elementary school specializing in learning disabilities to build my experience. I have friends at a few of the schools to hopefully help me with the correct contacts and apparently these schools often take grad students from my school to work at TAs. The problem is I am friendly with these girls but not that friendly so I want to make sure I do all the right things to get noticed on my own besides the connections.

15. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Feb 16, 2009

You might also try non-public schools that have students with emotional and behavioral disabilities. Make sure you have positive behavioral support training. Their behaviors will be challenging. You can apply to these schools directly. Local districts have a list of them.