Subjects and objects in sentences?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 12tighnf, Jan 24, 2013.

1. 12tighnf

12tighnf New Member

Jan 24, 2013

Hello fellow teachers! I'm currently in my 2nd year of teaching and am having a bit of trouble coming up with an engaging lesson about subjects and objects in sentences. Last year, I defined each term and gave a few examples using simple sentences, eventually progressing to compound sentences. Unfortunately, my students didn't really grasp the concept (over half the class failed their hw assignment the following day). :(
    This year I want to really engage the class and make sure they learn this subject. Do any of you have any recomendations?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2013

It's not really an engaging topic...:sorry:

What grade is this?

4. 12tighnf

12tighnf New Member

Jan 24, 2013

If not engaging then how do you ensure it sticks?

I teach 2nd grade btw.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2013

Objects in grade 2? Is this your state curriculum?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 25, 2013

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 25, 2013

Subject verb agreement is reasonable. Teaching kids to write interesting and varied sentences is as well. This can be done through shared writing, craft mini lessons, and close activities. I don't think it's appropriate to expect second graders to identify and label objects, passive vs active voice, though.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 25, 2013

Sorry, I didn't specify well what struck me as odd: it's not the subject-verb agreement (which is simply a matter of bringing to consciousness something a normal three-year-old already does correctly in speaking). There's a substantial literature in child language acquisition pointing to the fact that passive voice is acquired rather later than subject-verb agreement: normal four-year-olds are known to have difficulty interpreting passive constructions - "The blue car was hit by the red car" will be acted out with the blue car hitting the red car - and it isn't until age 5 that normal children even start to produce spontaneous passives orally. An interesting, if technical, article on a possible semantic basis for the delay is here. Explicitly teaching second graders to recognize passives is therefore odd; teaching them to write passives - which require one to juggle not merely the morphology (plain verb vs. BE plus past participle) but also subject vs. object syntactic roles AND agent vs. patient/theme semantic roles AND theme vs. rheme information roles) is just... overly optimistic.