Subbing on the Last Day of School

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, May 11, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 11, 2011

In all my yrs of subbing, I don't recall ever subbing on the very last day of school, but I will this yr. In fact, the last few days or so will just be easy "party" type days.

How many of you will be subbing on the last day?

3. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

May 11, 2011

I have never done this, but I did do the last day before Christmas break! It was NOT fun. I'm actually not really one for party days - they never last all day and the kids are wild for the time they are not partying. :)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2011

Well, the nose level is high, even though we do NOT party.

And the last day ends with locker cleanout-- someone's idea of punishment for those 2 months off.

Every kid in the school (aside from the Seniors, who are already done) has to empty his or her locker, and remove any writing or anything else. They bring all that stuff back to homeroom, along with their lock, to be brought back the first day next year. We have a checklist of who is in which locker, and each locker needs to be checked off.

The kids are hyper (exams start the next day) and we're back and forth between the 5 or 8 kids at their lockers at any given moment and the 30 or so kids still in the homeroom.

Ah, yeah.... good times.

We sub internally, so it's a total non-issue. But I can't begin to imagine someone who doesn't work there juggling the craziness.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 11, 2011

I may need a sub on the last day. I would hate to miss the last day but it all depends on what day I have to go to an appointment.

6. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

May 11, 2011

I subbed on the last day of school last year. I'm not sure about this year yet.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 11, 2011

Aren't you a LTS? I always think of the LTS in my building to be like 'regular staff'...that they are there every day...including the last if that's within their contract period. Enjoy your last day!

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 11, 2011

I was asked to sub the last 2 days for the same teacher - I could only accept the day before the last - on the last day my daughter has her 8th grade promotion, for which of course I want to be present.

I'm not unhappy about this - I think the last day(s) can be total chaos - from what i heard from my daughter, during the last week they don't really do much, because the grades have been closed already, so whatever homework they give them is not really accounted for, they don't really do meaningful things... Often they're watching movies. At least at my daughter's school. I think on these days behavior can be difficult to handle for a sub. You can't really give out any consequence.

I also subbed for the day before spring break, it was ok.

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 11, 2011

I was asked if I'd be interested in subbing for the last week of school for a teacher going out on medical. I said, yes, of course, but the grade level is really one of my least favorites --5th. They'll be way out of control and since it's the last week, there will be no fear of consequences. I may end up being very sorry I agreed to do it. On the upside, I'll get two months to recover.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 12, 2011

Yes, but I assist a few SLPs, so I'm at 4 diff schools 1 or 2 days a wk. I only work w/ kids for 30 min in any given day all yr as it is, so these will be fun days for me!

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 13, 2011

Last year I subbed the last two days of school. I was at a Middle School and had students who were in ISS (In School Suspension)!!! :dizzy:

All I have to say is - it's a good thing that the Principal was able to give them a good "talking to" so that I didn't have major behavior issues! But, that last day was truly miserable! :(

12. Lindager

Lindager Companion

May 13, 2011

Last year I was a LTS the last 21/2 months of school. The las week was "He double hockey sticks". The last day was not bad asembly and party time no stress. It was 2-3 days before the last day I was stressed to the max with responsibilities at school and financial problems at home. The kids in one class just treated me so bad I started to tear up. I quickly turned away from them and gave them work and tried to cover it. This year the first time I saw those kids they told me "We thought we drove you out of teaching! I said why? They said we know we made you cry last year. I have never admitted it to them, but they still "brag?" about it to other kids. "We were so bad last Year we made Mrs. XYZ cry" I don't plan on subbing those last days, but I don't have as much stress now either.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 13, 2011

Today was the 2nd to last Fri of school, so there were a couple of assemblies & the 2nd graders & a special ed class were on a field trip. Pretty easy day for me.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 13, 2011

MsI--does the pull-out support the students are receiving continue right until the last day of school? Also, just curious, do you pull students from special events, like assemblies, concerts, field days, etc?

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 13, 2011

MrsC, generally, the SLPs stop seeing kids a week before the last day of school & no, they aren't pulled for assemblies, other special events, definitely testing, etc.

16. Vince

Vince Rookie

May 23, 2011

Last day is this Friday. I don't know yet. Last year I did, a K teacher's mom became ill. It was water play day, so an easy day.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 23, 2011

Well, 1 & 1/2 days left for me now!

Tomorrow (Tues), I just have to copy & file things at 2 schools, then Wed, I give my last school of kids their trinkets that I got them!

18. bunches3614

bunches3614 Rookie

May 24, 2011

We are down to the last two days of school. I worked today, and I have a job for tomorrow. We will see what tomorrow brings as far as Thursday. I will say that I was in a first grade class today, and they were bad. I talked with some of the team teachers and they told me that they are so bad that their teacher in now moving to Kinder so that she doesn't have to loop with them next year.

19. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

May 24, 2011

I will be subbing the last two days of school and one of those days will be a field trip.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 26, 2011

This is my 1st official day of summer vacation & I'm relaxing at home! I've got a LOT of reading & HW to do since I slacked off this week so far.

21. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

May 30, 2011

When I used to sub, the last day was a guaranteed day I would not be working.