Sub again next year yes or no?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mandagap06, May 19, 2010.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 19, 2010

How many of you are going to sub again next year? If so why or why not? I am going to sub again next year because I am still not done with school to teach preschool and I still have my afterschool job too. I love the kids and like what I am doing right now!! Granted its hard to go to school, go to sub, and work a retail job but I have made some really good friends and some nice managers through it!!

3. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 19, 2010

As long as I don't have a full-time teaching position I'll be subbing. Hopefully I will get to keep the job I have now where I only work at one school doing intervention groups, but if not I'll be doing day-to-day elementary only jobs.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 19, 2010

Actually, I need to find work as a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA, they call them SLiPAs) because I'll probably be a student in this 12-wk program. Hopefully, 2009-10 will be my end to subbing, but if all else fails, I'll be subbing yet again.

5. love2sub

love2sub Rookie

May 19, 2010

Yes I will be subbing again next year and already have a long term set up for January :)

6. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

May 19, 2010

If I cant find a full time position, I guess so, but sometimes I feel it's not worth the stress for something that will probably lead to nothing at the end of the day. I'd rather either work in some other position in education or in another field than have to sub for an entire year once again.

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 19, 2010

I think this is going to be it for me subbing. If I can't find a teaching job I plan to find a full-time job in another field or work more hours at my part-time job and hopefully work my way into full-time there.

8. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 19, 2010

Yes, most likely. I will be doing ST hopefully in the fall, and in the winter, may continue with subbing after it to stay sharp and network to make contacts for a perm job, which is going to be really tough.

9. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

May 19, 2010

Yes but I am really hoping to stay in one school and really, really hoping I get a long-term position for a teacher going on mat. leave in Oct.

10. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 19, 2010

I already got my "reasonable assurance" letter from my favorite district, so unless I find a full time position, I'll be subbing. My hope is to find an office job over the summer that I can stretch into the fall and start subbing a month or so into the school year when the jobs start appearing.

I am a bit worried, however about a few of my districts. I sub in four, but have only worked a handfull of days in two of the districts. I have no idea if I'll be invited back next year because of that.

11. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 19, 2010

I with you and hope and pray to God I don't have to sub next year. I have gotten reference letters from subbing, and that's great. But the stress...especially from the tougher schools, I don't want to deal with that next year.

12. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 20, 2010

I plan to sub next year if I haven't found a full time position before then. In fact, I've submitted applications to two additional districts for subbing to increase my opportunities if I need to do that.

I hope/expect I can return to my 21st Century position next year as well. That plus subbing and working weekends as a hotel desk clerk is giving me a decent income for now, so I'll stay with that until a full-time position comes along.

13. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

May 20, 2010

I'm debating the same issue. I work part time as a children's librarian and sub atleast one day a week, sometimes two. I'm debating leaving my current job and going back to subbing only. It's a tough decision to make - but then I keep remembering that I have a large student loan to pay back - and wondering if a year of subbing will help me get my own classroom.

Any suggestions??

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 20, 2010

Ashtrey, why not keep doing both subbing & the library job? It's more money than just one of them right?! :) I mean unless you're really sick of the library job, that is. But, I'd rather do that than some hectic retail store job. I know all about that having worked at Nordstrom, Macy's, & other clothing stores in my day. For yrs, I was in college, had a part-time evening/wknd job, & was subbing all at the same time. It paid the bills.

15. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

May 20, 2010

Thanks Ms. I - I don't know if I would say I'm sick of the library job - I just, feel like I would be more in the loop if I were subbing more often. I have to turn down A LOT of subbing jobs because I work 3 days a week at the library. I have been offered a full time position at the library, but honestly the hours are TERRIBLE. I would work until 7 and 8 o'clock every night. I just cannot do that, not with 2 children at home.

I just feel so unsure....It seems like I am always making the wrong decisions. Thanks for your advice.....and I definitely understand retail - I had a few of those gigs in high school and college.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 20, 2010

Ah, I see Ashtrey! I wouldn't want to get off work if I had 2 kids. :( Well, since money isn't the issue, just sub, which you'll probably get offers 5 days a wk since you say you have to turn them away. I'd start off the new year sending out mass emails to the staff (if possible) saying that you're available M-F to sub, etc. & remember to have business cards & even flyers printed up & ready to hand out & put in teachers' boxes every time you go to a school.

Good luck! :)

17. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

May 20, 2010

Thanks for the ideas. I've never thought of sending email letting teachers know that I am available to sub - I'll definitely check out Vista Print for business cards/flyers.

Thanks for the tips :)
    Ashley

18. Subber

Subber Companion

May 21, 2010

from who at the school did you get the reference? Are the reference letter for teaching positions you seek or for other type of work or general reference?

I have been subbing at this one school A LOT lately - I like the school and they like me - and wonder whether I should ask for a reference letter of some sort someday that would work for a non-teaching position since I do not seek to become a teacher.

19. waffles

waffles Companion

May 21, 2010

It depends on what happens with my wife and her potential teaching job in another city. If we move I probably won't since I'd be able to get a better paying job that provides free school (which I'd use to get certified). If we stay where we are now I'll be subbing.

20. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

May 28, 2010

I am subbing in a preschool and will be taking classes to become teacher qualified. I will still be subbing until I have the full 12 Early Childhood Education (ECE) semester units. I know one school in which subbing will be a terrific and smart way to land a full time position. I already have letters of recommendation from teachers I worked for and I know they will provide me with positive references when they are called. I am excited to begin working!