Study Island???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bluebutterfly, Jun 12, 2008.

1. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

Anybody using Study Island? How often? Seem to help your test scores? Did your district have to pay for training? :unsure:

My P said I could try it next year, then I noticed the extra price for training. Not sure if I can do it with the training cost. It would just be one other teacher and me. Third grade. My deal with the P was that I would see how it went for one year (again, not figuring in the cost of training.)

Any info. would be great, thanks!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 12, 2008

A couple of the schools I've subbed in use Study Island. The repetition of information did seem to boost the confidence of the students using it, which may be a major part of taking the tests.

4. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

I used Study Island a bunch last year with my class when teaching 3rd grade. I was never trained on it, and actually had my class turn me on to it. After spending some time over kids shoulders and looking at it on my own, I was really amazed how great it was. It is great practice for state testing in all areas, and even more so for complex strategies such as problem solving and logic. When the kids login under their names, their high scores get ranked and they can actually try and beat each others scores. I had parents calling me telling me how much they loved the site and would let their kids play on it duirng free time. I was not even aware there was a training for it, but I would look into it. If it doesn't work out, I would still highly encourage your kids to use it whenever you have some free time or even as an occasional math lesson. My kids loved it.

Hope this helps!!

5. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2008

The kids loved Study Island!
    I used it to create Bi weekly tests.
    The other Math teacher and I would sit down and make a test and work sheets to use for the 2 weeks it saved time and created tests to state standards

6. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

I may have misunderstood what I read. I thought the training was required.

FYI- Training cost $200 plus $30 per hour of driving and $100 in overnight stay charges (if needed). OR online training via WebEx (never heard of it) for $100.

7. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2008

what is Study Island?

8. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 12, 2008

We had training in our computer lab with a rep from SI who came out for a fee. 08-09 will be our first year with the program. Unfortunately, I can't use it. (It's for 2nd grade and above.)

It's pretty easy to use, though. If you printed out the instruction manual and played around with the program, I'm sure you could figure it out.

9. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

http://www.studyisland.com/

Check it out. It is a web-site that allows students to study/review items that are on the state standards in a fun way at school or home.

10. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

11. teachtech

teachtech Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

Our kids love it too. I never had training and I actually had to do a quick training to our staff too! Pretty easy to figure out after going through it for a bit.

12. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jun 13, 2008

I used Study Island for the past two years for 7th grade math. I was not at the school three years ago which was their first year with SI so I am not sure if they had training then or not. I know there was no training during years 2 and 3. Use of SI was easy enough I learned the ins and outs on my own.

My students loved SI. I used it for long-term homework assignments (not all students had internet access at home so they had to use the local library or school facilities), periodic visits to class computer lab or using mobile lab carts in class and as a reward for good behavior (the problems can be solved using game mode).

Across the board, our math scores have increased steadily for the past three years, but it is difficult to say how much of that is due to SI because we also implemented a new math curriculum and had several new math teachers (experienced, but new to the school).

13. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

We used Study Island this year, too. The kids loved it! The teachers loved it! Our P loved that it helped with our state test results! Every one of my 8th graders passed TAKS reading this year, and our school had the highest scores in the district. What did I like best about it? Hmmm... I could create and print warm-ups, quizzes, and tests. The kids can work on their on-line lessons at home or at school. They were truly engaged in the work when we were in the computer lab.
    We did have a rep. from SI come and do a training session, but it was short...only a couple of hours. I got more out of just playing around with it myself than I did from her training.