Study Island

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Love to Teach, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

Study Island was mentioned in another thread. I have never heard of it before, but it does look impressive. Was wondering if anyone is familiar with it and what they think about it? :)

Does it just cover reading and math? In my grade, we are also tested over Science and writing. Thanks for any input you can give. :)

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 17, 2010

You can check out their forum: http://forums.studyisland.com/Forum/

I haven't used it, but I couldn't find any science content. They do have AP though (but that doesn't do you or me much good for the grades we teach).

4. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 17, 2010

My school uses study island. It does have Science and Writing, although we don't use those components in my grade. We use it quite a bit, the only problem we have is that it tends to repeat reading selections A LOT but the questions are different.

5. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

Thanks, guys. :) That is good to know about the reading because that and Science are what I am most interested in. I use IXL for math and love it! We also have SuccessMaker for reading, but Study Island seems better because it is so closely aligned to our standards.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 17, 2010

We got it last year. We have all of the subjects. I like that it's exactly our state standards. It also works with my student responders "clickers" easily. I also made some of my own assessments as well. I love that feature.

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

Does the school have to subscribe to it? I used Study Island to help me pass the CSET. I loved it. You could identify your strengths and weaknesses to see where you needed to put in the study time. They have great tutorials also.

8. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jul 17, 2010

Our district tried it for a year or two. Then it went the way of "Atlantis."

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 18, 2010

Looks interesting.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2010

We have it and love it. It is the best thing since sliced bread. My favorite part is the mini-reviews they have on each topic- they are standard driven, so they are exactly who/what will be on our state testing.

Again, I love it. It is so easy to set up and monitor, and it is perfect for the kids to do for a center.

11. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 18, 2010

It is wonderful, fantastic, terrific (trying to think of more adjectives but it's still early). The kids love it, I love it, our administrators love it. Why do we love it?

1. It's aligned to our state standards
    2. It's individualized based on students scores on the beginning activities in Reading, Math, Science, Social Studies, Language Arts
    3. The kids buy in because they get to see who can earn the most "blue ribbons" (I tie their # of blue ribbons to other activities in the classroom - _ blue ribbons earn 10 minutes of free computer time, ___ blue ribbons earn the opportunity to do an art activity, ___ play scrabble with a classmate)
    4. Parents like it because they can see what their child is still having issue with
    5. I still have students that are using it over the summer and using the "games" section to keep their skills up.

12. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

Wow! It sounds awesome! Thanks, everyone for your input! :)

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

I really liked Study Island. As a teacher you could log in and create a assignments for the students (I didn't figure this out until the end of the year :( so I'll be doing much more of that next year before the test). The only problem I had with Study Island was that it used different wording in the math section that the test used (NJASK) so the kids were a little confused when it came to the test. I assumed the wording on Study Island would be accurate because it is supposed to be aligned with the state standards and test prep.

14. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 18, 2010

We have it, the school pays about $20,000 for a subscription, and we are required to take our classes in for one 40 minute period per week. As far as I am concerned, it is a test-taking tool and nothing more! We have many students who are not reading at grade level, but the Study Island level they are on IS at the grade level, so there goes your guided reading ideas - we wind up reading almost the entire section to them! Unable to differentiate this for the lower level students. I would much rather see my District spend money on a site such as brainpop.com!

15. StudyIsland

StudyIsland New Member

Jul 20, 2010

Hi!
    I just wanted to give you guys a little info that might help you out!

MissJill - The wording that is used in the program SHOULD be very similar to what is on the NJASK. If you find that not to be the case on any question, you can use the "Comment on question" link in the upper right hand corner of the page. This will send a message directly to the content team so they can directly address the issue with you, usually within a few days.

teacher333 - I'm sorry you are having a difficult time using the program. The issues you seem to be having, though, are easily remedied. If you have students that are not reading at grade level, one of two things can happen. They will either be routed to a building block topic (one of the ones with the little hazard signs in front), which is a grade level lower for each building block, or they can be restricted (by a teacher or admin) to a lower grade level permanently. If you choose the latter option, the grade level can be "hidden" so that the student isn't shown the grade level they are on.