Study Aids For Cset Social Science 1-3

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Ace12580, Apr 26, 2005.

1. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Sep 7, 2010

Thanks for the advice! I've been looking at the study guides and content standards and looking up terms I don't remember or recognize. I'm also planning on sneaking in a snack because I remember how hungry I was when I took all 3 subtests of the Multiple Subjects CSET on one day.

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 7, 2010

As long as you don't nibble your nosh in the testing room itself, by all means take something with you.

3. teacher91082

teacher91082 New Member

Jan 4, 2013

Frustrated...

I have been reading the posts on here since I started studying for the CSET test last year. I passed the US and Econ/CA/Civics test but really having a hard time passing the world history portion. NExt week will be my 5th time taking the test.

Does anyone know how many different forms of the test there are? I have heard that on the fifth try the essay questions will repeat...anyone have experience with this? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do help pass this test? I have read all the books I can read and just feeling very frustrated and helpless...

thank you!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 4, 2013

Hugs, teacher91082. You've revived a thread that's more than two years old, but we'll all cope.

CSET Social Science has been around since 2003; I'd bet against there being only five versions of Subtest I.

How close are you coming to passing? On side 2 of your score report - the page with the diagnostic indicators that breaks the subtests down by domain and question type - what assortment of plus marks, letters, or checkmarks are you seeing?

5. DanteLover

DanteLover Rookie

Jan 5, 2013

I know exactly how you feel!! I am also taking the test for my 5th time next week. :( I teach English, but I want to add history to my credential. I have read just about everything that's been out. I was even 1 point shy of passing. ONE POINT! It's the extended response essay that kills me. I've also passed the other two subtests and I just feel like giving up at this point. I am a horrible test taker.

I think at this point it is just going to take the right question. You can only read and study so much, you know? It's impossible to be completely prepared for those questions. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 5, 2013

dantelover, what are you seeing in your diagnostic indicators? The extended-response question (which is not technically an essay, by the way) COULD be the only thing holding you back, but actually that's rather rare.

7. teacher91082

teacher91082 New Member

Jan 5, 2013

Thank you for your response. I got 2 checks on multiple choice and 2 on essay. I am not close! Would I pass if I get 2 checks on multiple choice and 4 essay? I am p, k, s for all three of the constructed response. I think if I can get essay questions that I am know, it will really help.

any insight one what I need in the two sections to pass?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 5, 2013

In the first place, the responses aren't essays: if you're calling them that, you're probably introducing and concluding and doing all that, and you really don't need to. Note also that each of the short answers (of which you have two) is scored on a scale from 0 to 3 and the extended answer on a scale from 0 to 4: it's possible to noodge the points up a bit without necessarily answering very impressively, provided you get to the point and state what you do know. (One gets a zero for what amounts to not answering at all or answering wildly incorrectly and showing no ability to think historically.)

p is purpose: essentially, what's the point of the question?

k is knowledge: can you discuss the point using the technical terminology of history?

s is support: can you justify your answer with evidence?

It's fairly often the case that the extended answer involves a comparison of two documents in history. Such questions require at least as much ability to parse meaning from texts - which is a language arts skill - as knowledge of history. Try this exercise: Go to the practice extended response question and pretend that it's for literature, not language. See if you can get more out of it thinking about it that way.

9. DanteLover

DanteLover Rookie

Jan 6, 2013

An essay is defined as a short piece of writing on a particular subject (an essay can simply be a paragraph, but let's not tell our students that, haha). But yeah, there is no way one could fit an introduction and conclusion on the space they give you.

The comparison between two documents is what kills me for some reason. I don't understand that since Parsing texts is what I do! I think it's because they want the context that surrounds the document (the Depth of knowledge category).

I always score check marks on the short response, I get either a 3 or a 4 + on the geography. I get 2 or 3 + for the history part and there is always something wrong with the extended response.

I don't even try to understand how they score it. i got a 216 one time with the follow scores 3+ for each MC, pk, check, and check.

I got a 219 one time with the following scores: 3+, 4+, pksd, check and check. Now I totally BOMBED the first essay (according to them), but I was 1 point off? It only gave me overall on MC a 3+. Actually the overall +s were the same as my score 216.

10. DanteLover

DanteLover Rookie

Jan 6, 2013

I would go to the cset website and print out the subject matter requirements and go through each domain. Have you tried this? There are a lot of them, but this is what they pull from to construct the test. It has helped me get a better sense of what is on the test.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 6, 2013

DanteLover, there's reason to believe that the plus marks parcel the score ranges into quartiles: roughly, up to 25%, up to 50%, up to 75%, 75% and over. In other words, if 74% of available points correct is three plus marks, so is 51% of points - and there's quite a difference between the two.

If you're pretty comfortable with the timeline of English/American/world literature, try looking up various favorite works of literature on Wikipedia or Answers.com: typical entries should mention at least something about the historical, economic, and social milieu out of which a given work arises. (Les Miserables and A Tale of Two Cities both center on the time of the French Revolution, which happens to be the background that's required for the document-based question in the sample set on the CSET Web site. Prussia in that question is the German-speaking chunk of eastern Poland, in the lower left-hand corner of the Baltic Sea, from which Germany historically derived its hardest-posteriored military commanders - if you were hiring mercenaries in the 18th and 19th centuries, you wanted Prussian ones; these facts might shed a little light on that question.) The object here is for you to anchor what you need to know in history to things you already know in literature

I'd also recommend a decent historical atlas, partly because it's also a good teaching tool; a historical atlas will give you the flow of history and help you see the causal chains, thereby helping make a bit more sense of history as story. At this time of year Barnes & Noble is often still selling The Times Complete History of the World and its little brother The Compact History of the World as coffee-table gift books: either would serve you and your future students well.

12. DanteLover

DanteLover Rookie

Jan 7, 2013

That's a great idea! Thanks Teacher Groupie.

I will look into finding the atlas. Study books tend to change the sequence of events and everything gets jumbled!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 7, 2013

History is, at bottom, the world's longest, largest unfinished novel; try thinking less in terms of "jumbled" and more in terms of keeping track of at least four continents' worth of simultaneous plot lines.

(I'm not joking, or at least not very much, about history as novel: it's no accident that the same Greek root lies behind both "history" and "story".)

14. DanteLover

DanteLover Rookie

Jan 8, 2013

I'm working on it. I'm going to try my best and hope this time I'll make it happen.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 8, 2013

Extra hugs, DanteLover. For you, I truly do recommend thinking of this in terms of tracking multiple sometimes-overlapping plot lines.

16. DanteLover

DanteLover Rookie

Jan 8, 2013

Thanks TeacherGroupie :)

17. DanteLover

DanteLover Rookie

Feb 11, 2013

YAY I PASSED!! Finally!! *sigh of relief*

:D

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 11, 2013