Students with ADHD or ADD

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pashtun, May 20, 2017.

1. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 20, 2017

1. Can someone please enlighten me on why every student (in my experience) with an attention issue seems to have no attention issues when they are playing games they like?

2. Any book, article, website, blog recommendations for helping these students become more successful in class. To help them have a great year both academically, socially, and behaviorally?

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

May 20, 2017

I would think it's simply because they find the games more interesting and engaging. It would be much easier for them to focus their attention on a preferred task (such as games) than something they find "boring" or tedious".

A few things that help are presenting information in various ways; such as direct instruction, videos, and followed up with some kind of activity that is hands-on or incorporates interaction and movement.

Obviously that can't be accomplished with every subject or every lesson, especially if you are self-contained and plan for every subject.

Brain breaks do help, whether it is from Go Noodle, a think-pair-share, or Kagan cooperative learning structures.

Most children can only attend for as long as their chronological age, so keep that in mind when you are planning your lessons and activities.

Also, really look at your students and monitor for fatigue and adjust as necessary to keep them engaged. You could have them stop and stretch, tell a partner something new they learned, etc.

You can break your lessons into chunks, provide the child with frequent breaks, reduce the amount of work they do as long as the work they complete shows mastery, provide visual checklists, use timers, etc.

All those things do help for children with mild-moderate attention issues, but if a child is severely ADHD not much else besides medication will truly help them. :(

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 20, 2017

There is some research that indicates that exposure/overstimulation via video games, television, etc., at an early age may be a component of causing ADD or ADHD. These students almost always believe they are capable of multi-tasking, involving texting, music, being on the computer/tablets, being on the phone, etc., all while reading or listening to lectures or studying. I understand about chunking and appropriate expectations based on age, but I seldom see parents or other staff questioning how damaging overstimulation is in the developing brain, and how hard it is to overcome as the child ages. I believe that at some point these students need to learn without everything becoming gamified, but I could just be tired and ready for summer. ;)

otterpop likes this.
  5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 20, 2017

ADHD is a problem with execitive processing and functioning skills in the brain. Hyperfocusing is a result.

a2z likes this.
  6. a2z

a2z Maven

May 20, 2017

Funny thing is there are children who can hyperfocus on academics but walk around in a forgetful daze with other tasks. The difference is we don't tend to see that as a problem even if it impacts them socially or otherwise.

Backroads likes this.