Students not bringing supplies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RussianBlueMommy, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:31 AM.

1. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:31 AM

What is with the phenomenon of high-school students not bringing basic supplies to school such as a writing utensil. A normal school day today, and a student said he had nothing to write with. I asked him Why did he come to school without a pen or pencil. He said "I didn't know I would need to write anything". I told him, this is school!! Surely you knew some writing would be involved.

They are slightly amusing at times lol

3. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:26 AM

I keep a supply of beautiful, sharp new pencils. When this happens, I trade one of my pencils for a used but a serviceable pencil of a student who did bring supplies and give the used pencil to the student who needs it.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:56 PM

This is a good idea!

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:29 AM

I have had students on various occasions who come to school with literally nothing. Like they brought themselves to school and nothing else. No book, no stationery, no bag, nothing. They remembered their mobile phones though. When I ask them why, they just shrug, because I think there’s no good acceptable answer to that question.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:36 AM

Because in the past the teachers got fed up and just provided the materials. So, the students either tell the parents they don't need to bring anything or the parents refuse to buy the supplies. Either way, it's getting so that everyone is just expecting to be provided with everything and no effort is put into being responsible for bringing in anything.

7. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:47 AM

I tried the "No pencil? Then you can just sit there while the rest of us work on our writing project." But the result of the tough love resulted in the kid with no pencil learning less and getting farther behind. We need to prioritize learning over trying to teach responsibility though natural consequences. Give the kid a pencil—just not a new one.

Backroads likes this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:48 PM

I will give them a pencil if I am able to (like if it’s during the Do Now.) if not, I will ask them to get a colored pencil. I won’t stop teaching because they do not have a pencil so I like having a solution for them. I also pick up pencils I find on the floor and put them in a cup. I don’t keep new pencils out because if I put out 50, they would all be gone by the end of he day.

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:02 PM

I usually just try to find within reason a way for them to get a writing utensil.

That said, I agree with the sentiment. It's annoying when they don't bring stuff.

I know there's that famous blog post out there about how we just need to give the students a pencil and all these suggestions are thrown out on ways to get pencils. It sounds all very inspiring, until I realize it's putting the onus of pencils entirely on the teacher.

Again, if it's reasonable for me the teacher to help with the pencil situation, I will. But I'm not going to go very far out of my way to do so.

futuremathsprof and otterpop like this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:29 AM

Different groups are different too. I've never had a problem with this issue until this year. I thought, gee, I've sure got this pencil thing figured out! Whoops. Enter this group to knock me down a bit haha. I could easily go through a package a day. They just disappear.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:40 AM

Give them a crayon

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:19 AM

I know what you mean! I have been blessed by the universe with pencil abundance. It's just never been an issue for me--pencils find their ways to me.

Yet a couple of years ago I had a group that must have disintegrated pencils or something. Following years weren't much better. Again, it wasn't a huge issue because I had pencils. But this year the students have been great about pencils.

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:23 AM

This. Exactly this!

14. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:23 AM

Pfft, lol! I love this comment.

15. JimG

JimG Companion

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:01 PM

I just use $20 out of my budget each year to stock up on pencils, and I put some of them in a tin can on the front table for students to borrow as needed. Many forget to return them, but it’s one less battle to fight.

Backroads likes this.
  16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 15, 2018 at 2:14 PM

That's better than the teacher who told my brother to write in blood because he forgot his pencil!
    Let's just say he never EVER forgot a pencil again!! (I do not advise going this route LOL).