Students in the teacher's lounge

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jen12, Aug 29, 2011.

1. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 29, 2011

What teacher's lounge? :lol:

We have to eat at a small table in the resource room, which also conveniently houses the copy machine, laminator, paper cutter, only phone on the second floor, book sets, extra paper, first aid kits, science materials, and small group tables.

Needless to say, private conversations and/or venting does not occur.

2. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2011

The students come and knock on the door. The teacher they are trying to get to goes out of the room to speak with them.

3. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 30, 2011

Students are not allowed in our workroom. We aren't supposed to call it a lounge because it gives a bad image. Like we are all in there laid out on the couch or something.
    My own kids may go in their after school to get a drink and it isn't a problem. Our venting takes place at lunch.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 30, 2011

We don't have an actual rule, but I get annoyed when kids are in the lounge, too. At my old school, we had a courtyard. There were 2 entrances to the courtyard, one of which was in the teacher's lounge. Some teachers would eat with their class in the courtyard, and it was so annoying when they would cut through the lounge, instead of using the other door.

I just feel like it is our quiet time away from the kids. Also, sometimes we talk about kids, and other children shouldn't be around to hear that. I'm not talking gossip, but just a "Someone in my class did this...What would you do?" Or a quick mention to the SPED teacher about how a student in my class did during writing time, and stuff like that.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 30, 2011

No students in there... sometimes when someone's been out on maternity leave or whatever, they'll come in during lunch and bring their kids, or have their kids in there with them, but no students. The sign on the door says that.

Upon occasion during class, I'll have a few of my students come with me to get things from the fridge/freezer... but never during lunch, and if anyone's in there, I always ask them first if it's OK if my helpers come help me carry some things.

6. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 30, 2011

Yeah, I was going to say something similar. Our only space like a lounge is actually the workroom, and the door is always left open to the office. Kids walk by all the time, and it's not terribly unusual to find a staff kid in there. None of this seems to stop private-type conversations from taking place in there, but I think it would be more of an issue if we had lunch breaks.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2011

How is calling it a louge a bad thing? During someones lunch time they should be allowed to do as they please; eat lunch, read a book, take a quick nap if needed.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2011

If you can't talk to the teacher, talk to your union rep. It's your lunch period - you shouldn't be working then. Kids in there is a big no no.

9. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 1, 2011

We have a no student policy for the teacher's lounge. It is adhered to strictly. If the teacher wants to allow her students to interrupt they can eat their lunch or take their break in their at their desk.

10. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Sep 1, 2011

Teacher's lounge? What's that? LOL We have to eat lunch with our class in the cafeteria. (There is a seperate table set up for staff.) We don't have the staff for duty free lunch. In the district I used to sub in the policy was that in the event that a student needed a teacher they would have to knock on the door and then the teacher would need to step outside to deal with the issue.

11. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 1, 2011

I'm sorry this is off topic, but what is writing lines?

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 1, 2011

Students are not allowed in the teacher's lounge at my school. Our lounge is tucked in an area where there are no classrooms, bathrooms, etc. So, kids would have no reason to even be near it.

13. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 3, 2011

No students are allowed in the teacher's lounge in my school. I believe that there is a sign right on the door stating this. We also have a workroom, where the copy machine is located as well as a professional library and some lunch tables. Students are generally not allowed in that area, either.

14. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Sep 3, 2011

Our teacher's lounge does not allow students by tradition rather than hard and fast rule. As such, there may be violators in the staff lounge furthest from the main part of the campus. (We have lounges in different parts of campus as it is quite large.) However, I am of the view that where I am dealing with confidential information (such a phone calls home to parents) students should not have access.

I am not against children seeing their parents during the work day. Many people work in a particular school because they want proximity to their offspring. But in life, there is always the right time and the right place. :cool: (read: not the teacher lounge)