Students being moved into different rooms

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherintexas, Oct 10, 2012.

1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 10, 2012

I recently got a new student from other teachers. The parent evidently was not very happy and went to the superintendent about the teacher and principal. I have not met the parents but will have a conference next week.

I used the school supplies differently than the other teachers. Their kids switch classes while I am not departmentalized. The list requested different colored folders which I used to color code our subjects. This child does not have them all. Instead there is a decorated folder that has a note written inside it by the mom. It says something to the effect of "if you or any adult have any problem with this folder, call xxx-xxxx." She did not have a certain color that we use several times a day so I made that decorated folder her yellow folder for that subject. She will still be using the folder but the mom had written homework on it and we use binders for our homework. She does have a binder and the child and I worked together to change her dividers to fit our class. The child seems willing to change over to the way we do things, but the other kids already do these things and I'm sure this child wants to fit in.

I'm not drawing a line in the sand over school supplies, but I am not going to let this parent run my classroom. I hope there is no conflict over a folder and a binder, but I foresee a potential problem.

What would you do?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

I'd put color coded labels on the kid's existing folders. This isn't a battle worth fighting.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 10, 2012

Continue to work with the student. If the kid doesn't have a problem with it, then the parent needs to stay out of it. I've had instances where the children were delightful and the parents were a real piece of work.

I'm curious as to why the student moved from the other classroom.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2012

You may want to be proactive and just call the parent. Let them know that you are working with their child to change over the binder and the color system that you are using in the classroom.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 10, 2012

I am pretty surprised by this parent's behavior. When I have had students who have been switched into my classroom out of another classroom, the parent knows the principal went against the norm to please the parent's request. I have found these are the last parents who want to rock the boat since they have just gotten what they want.

Knowing that, I would expect the parent will comply with the reasonable requests you are making. I wouldn't back down. If the parent gives you a hard time, than that parent really needs an award for being a difficult parent. Gee they just got their child moved out of a classroom, what more do they expect?

7. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Oct 11, 2012

I would just supply the student with the appropriate colored folders and send the old ones home. I think mom is testing you to see how you will react. Maybe she likes stirring the pot.....

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 11, 2012

The other teacher must be jumping for joy! I agree with both mopar and Curiouscat.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 11, 2012

With a comment like hers written on the folder, I agree with Curiouscat. Did the parent request that the child be placed in your room? If so, then she will need to abide by the rules of the classroom.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 11, 2012

She brought me the folder this morning saying her mom wanted me to read the note.

We have a conference on Tuesday. The mom may want to talk school supplies while I will want to talk about the necessity of knowing 13-6 in third grade.

Should make for an interesting year.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2012

I also agree it isn't worth getting in a power struggle about school supplies. She has bought supplies once and probably doesn't want the expense again? Just put a label on them and forget it.

On a side note, in California we are not allowed to require parents to pay for anything, including school supplies.

Maybe during your conference ask the parent if she would like to provide the things the other kids have or have you reuse what she has. Maybe if you do it nicely you will build her trust and she may cooperate just because you didn't tell her what to do.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 12, 2012

The problem isn't the lack of supplies even though she didn't buy what was listed. The problem is she wants to dictate how they are used.

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Oct 12, 2012

If you have a supportive principal I would ask them to be at the meeting. It sounds like she is coming in ready to fight. It is weird with her already getting her kid to change rooms already.

14. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 12, 2012

This just happened to me too. I used some spares I had, and for the other folders glued the right color construction paper on it.

I contacted the parents about bringing a pair of headphones and one more folder. Hopefully they do it!

It's not worth the fight though. If you have an old binder, give it to her.