Student with a bad attitude

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Gwen, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Jan 9, 2009

What do you do with a student who just has a bad attitude? He is general whines and complains he does things like when I'm reading the class Despereaux and when I come to the part where I stop for the day some kids go "awh don't stop yet." And he always says things like "Yeah I hate that book." I've been ignoring him since the start of the year but he has kicked it up a notch since the winter break.

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2009

Maybe turn it around on him a bit in a way...for example...after you've finished reading a chapter, ask the class for a show of thumbs up or down in regards to whether or not they enjoyed the chapter. Before starting this routine, discuss with the class about how everyone can have their own opinion of the book and it's a good thing to share your opinions with others when the time is appropriate.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2009

What do mom and dad say? Is there anything going on at home-- dad away, mom and dad fighting, a new baby? Any of those could account for him trying for any attention he can get, even negative attention.

Was he like this last year? What does his 1st grade teacher say? Did she come up with any coping strategies that helped?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2009

He may not really understand the book. I'm sure he doesn't hate it, he seems to have a self-image problem. There are underlying reasons for tuning out, for complaining and whining. Does he feel like a failure in your room? Seems like he is looking for connection and meaning- you've said that you've been "ignoring him since the start of the year"...what if you gave him some positive attention instead of ignoring him?

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

Hmmm...

Try to catch him doing something the right way. For instance: sitting nicely in his chair, raising a quiet hand, answering a question using a complete sentence, turning in his homework on time, walking instead of running, etc. Then say something like, "Wow, I love it when Billy ______________ (fill in the proper statement)." Or, "Thank you, Billy, for _____________ (fill in the proper statement)" When you use those types of statements (and give him lots of praise), all eyes will be on Billy, and he'll feel very special because others are seeing what a great job he's doing (and hopefully, they'll model his behavior).

I know this is all easier said than done. I've had lots of of kids like "Billy" over the past three years, so I know it isn't easy.

Also, try talking to mom and dad to make sure that they're on board, too.

I hope this helps! :thumb:

7. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Jan 11, 2009

I agree!! I have a kid like this in my class this year (and he is a handful). He says hurtful things to other students, moans and groans if something doesn't go his way, throws all out fits over trivial things, etc... In my opinion, he is looking for attention and he will take the negative if he has too. But, I do not allow it. I am constantly looking for anything that he is doing right and then praise him for that. I have noticed that he will work a little harder because of it. Now, granted, he still tries my patience every day!! But, I know that I will get what I want out of him if I recognize the good things he does, rather than constantly correct the bad.

8. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Jan 12, 2009

I have not spoken with the parents yet. I will do that. The book thing was just an example of one thing he does (most common complaining). He complains about everything even the toys in the prize box I have, he has since the start of the year. Obviously ignoring him is not working because 1/2 way into the year he is still complaining. I guess I do need to be more mindful of positive ways to redirect his complaining.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 12, 2009

Little twit. There may very well be something going on at home.

Those kids are tough, kill him with kindness. Ask him to recommend a book next time.

10. caliteach78

caliteach78 Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

I agree. I have twins in my class (their mom left the family) they test me constantly. They try to sing whil I read, make noises during tests, etc. I am usually pretty strict with my kids, but sometimes, they don't even care. It is hard when all of the other kids are saying good things and theya re so nrgative, it starts to drag us all down. One of my reward programs is a raffle ticket. each month I buy something really cool . This month is a vioce changer that makes 100 different voices. I knew my boys would love it. Every time I catch them even doing the slightest thing right I just give them a ticket. Sometimes i just whisper to them "Thanks for getting your book out right away". it works. I've already made it a point to tell the whole class that I may give tickets at any time to anyone for many different things. Sometimes when I'm really busy, i slack on monitoring them all the time and I see them slip again. I also fill a jar with candy and I let them get a guess at the amount. Every 3 weeks or so the person closest wins. The twin boys love candy, so I know this will help. In my treasure chest I have stuff that I know they like -star wars puzzles, etc. Since have been concsious of what they like and trying to quielty reward them, I have seen a huge difference. It is still a daily battle, but I definetely see a difference.

11. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 27, 2009

I completely agree with Alice. second graders these days have A LOT to deal with. i found that talking to the kids is helpful because you never know what life at home is like.

for instance, i had one little girl who was constantly rolling her eyes, sucking her teeth at me and being mean to other kids. turns out her mom was only 22, had six kids, no job and they were struggling to survive. the girl was sharing a bed with her mom and two sisters and whenever mom's "boyfriend" would come over, the girl and her sisters had to sleep in the living room on the floor on pallets.

so the girl was always tired at school, which resulted in her having a bad attitude and being cranky. she also had low self esteem.

she wasnt a perfect angel by the end of the year, but knowiong where she was coming from really helped me reach her to the best of my ability instead of just sending her to detention the way all her other teachers did when she started acting up.

12. corney

corney Companion

Jan 27, 2009

Can I have all of you as my daughters teachers?? You all seem to be so in tune and caring about your students.. Your postive attitudes about their education is lacking in the teachers my daughter has.. hense she has a bad attitude towards learning.. case in point.. last tuesday was a social studies learning lesson about the inaugaration.. I don't watch the news or discuss current events with my daughter that much if at all.. she does know I didn't vote for the current president so she was uninterested in the daily lesson and got a 20% on the little test they took. It was obvious she didn't pay attention, but also it showed she didn't really understand the questions. (partly because of her low reading comprehension) Did the teacher question her about her attitude?.. no she just let her think it's ok to get a failing grade.. that really chapps my butt.. I see it as allowing bad habits to be formed not broken.. how do I get this teacher to break her own bad habits by not working with my daughter to break hers??