Student Teaching Tips

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Jan 8, 2018

My student teaching starts next week and I am super excited but also really nervous! I think it will be a challenge to balance teaching, coursework, and job applications. Does anyone have any general tips or advice for student teachers?

3. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Companion

Jan 8, 2018

I am starting my student teaching next week super nervous along with substitute teaching and graduate school applications! I am following this thread to get ideas as well :)

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Companion

Jan 8, 2018

If you don't already, start taking a multivitamin or emergen-c or something. Students are germ factories and attempts to eat/sleep well may slip when you get bogged down.

Have some sort of meal prep. or quick vaguely balanced meals. Cooking properly and grading are sometimes mutually exclusive. Microwaves and crockpots are your friends. Where I was, I couldn't buy lunch at the school, so I had to pack a lunch too.

Try to set a designated time for coursework and applications. I found it efficient to gather the information frequently needed on applications in one document so I wouldn't have to keep looking up stuff like the phone number of the school I interned at sophomore year.

Find out where to find/how you'll be notified of snow days. Also find out what your day will look like if your CT is absent.

Make friends with people in other roles like resource teachers, office staff, and custodians.

Keep a brief log of what you did each day. It'll make preparing for interviews much easier when you have details on what all you did.

If you have to do edTPA, plan well in advance. Get the permission slips early. Figure out when your unit will be and allot extra time. Mine got pushed back twice between snow days and needing to move standardized testing because of snow days.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2018

Be yourself.

Don't be Kagan. Don't be Wong. Don't be your master teacher. Don't be Michelle Pfifer from Dangerous Minds.

Be yourself.

There is a ton you can take from others but as soon as you aren't authentic to yourself you will start to hate the job and kids will pick up on it very quickly. Teaching is one of the few jobs where you can be yourself so don't give up that advantage!

6. rpan

rpan Comrade

Jan 9, 2018

Be organised. There’s a lot of aspects to the job that can quickly be overwhelming or lead you to miss something unless you are organised.

In terms of job prospects, it can be helpful to have lunch with the staff and admin in the staff room or lunch room or wherever they have lunch, so that you get your “name” out there and they know who you are. It can be quite tempting to lunch in your classroom especially if you are busy but having lunch with staff can be helpful if you are trying to get your foot in the door and also it will never hurt to chat to other teachers, gain their perspective on things, chat about their experience etc.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  7. Rakesh

Rakesh New Member

Jan 9, 2018

Just be simple. First days are not excatly as you expect. You don't have to be nervous because there are couple of things which is not in your hand, for example the environment of school, teachers, staff and student's behavior. There is only one thing which can do is to earn respect by being yourself. Just focus on what you have to teach and try to do it in interesting way. Good Luck

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Jan 9, 2018

Thank you for this great advice? What exactly is edTPA?

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Jan 9, 2018

I am trying to figure out how to stay organized this semester because I think this is going to be a challenge, especially since it is not my classroom. I bought one of those plastic pocket folders to take with me to hold student work/any other papers and a lesson plan book.

My mentor does not eat lunch in the staffroom and actually works through lunch. So I unfortunately did not get to meet much of the staff except the aide who works in our room. When I do eat in the lunchroom, it is super quiet and the teachers/aides don't really talk to each other. I wonder if different grade level teams eat in their classrooms together. It is really different from the schools that I subbed in!

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Jan 9, 2018

I will definitely remember this!! Thank you!

11. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 New Member

Jan 9, 2018

I just finished student teaching in December 2016. It was the most difficult and rewarding experience of my life.

My CT was incredibly harsh on me, and criticized every move I made. I didn't realize it at the time, but she was testing me, and pushing me to be the best I could be. I sucked it up and put a smile on my face, although I was dying inside. At the end of my placement, before I could even ask her, she had written a glowing letter of recommendation. I even emailed her earlier this year, thanking her for the experience and how well it has prepared me in the classroom. She replied that she knew I was "perfect" for the job, and was thrilled I got my dream position.

Long story short: no matter how hard it gets, suck it up and do your best. It WILL pay off in the end!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  12. viola_x_wittrockiana

Jan 9, 2018

A big fat flaming hoop to jump through on your way to certification. Something like 20 states use Pearson's edTPA as part of their licensing process. You have to design a unit including an assessment you made, teach it, video your teaching, give feedback on the assessment, and write a lot about all of it. It was a nightmare when I did it because I was in the pilot group of edTPA in my state, so no one, professors included, had any idea what we were doing. The instructions alone are like 50 pages. Because of the video part, you need permission slips from the parents of the class you're recording, or do what I did and tape from behind so students aren't identifiable.

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:21 AM

Oh wow...that sounds like a lot! I just checked and my state does not use edTPA. We do have to record ourselves so I need to figure out permission slips for that.

14. svassillion

svassillion Rookie

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:34 PM

This sounds miserable. Do you think the people at DOE even look through it all? Who has time for that?

15. viola_x_wittrockiana

Jan 10, 2018 at 5:56 PM

I know they don't. The DOE only checks to see if you passed or not. Pearson hires their own scorers to grade the videos/written materials and it costs the teacher candidate $300 to do it. There's no guarantee that the person watching your videos has any knowledge/experience with your area either. I'm very glad I didn't have to pay since I piloted, but I also never saw my scores either.

Back to the original topic, check with your CT about permission. Many schools have parents sign a blanket waiver at registration for things like that, so it may already be taken care of.