Student teaching: Days where I’m solo have to be some of the best days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by zmp2018, Nov 12, 2018.

1. zmp2018

zmp2018 Rookie

Nov 12, 2018

I’m in my final three weeks of my student-teaching placement. My mentor was absent today, and I was in full control. I have to say that I find the days where I’m solo have to be some of the best days. I think I truly find my own style when my mentor wasn’t there. He’s been such a great mentor, but being solo is nice. I always second-guess myself whenever my mentor watches me.

Did anyone else feel that the days during student teaching when your mentor wasn’t there were very beneficial?

3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Nov 12, 2018

I wasn't allowed to be alone during student teaching. Every once in a while he would leave for one or two classes but they always got a sub when he was out. My student teaching experience was awesome though because my teacher basically let me plan everything on my own and then he would offer advice before implementation on how to make it better. He let me figure it out on my own which was brave since the classes I was in had end of course tests that counted for the school. I don't think I would be nearly as good of a teacher without that experience.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Nov 13, 2018

I was never alone during student teaching but one day my mentor teacher was absent so I had a sub in the classroom with me. He just basically sat at the desk while I taught. I really enjoyed it. He was there for support if I needed it in case of behavior issues but it really was fine and I forgot he was there most of the day.