Student probably cheated...what should I do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 6, 2018

I feel bad for this student because he was in danger of retention in 5th grade and hasn't come to extra help no matter how many times I asked. I attempted to call his father once and was told to "call back." I got no response when I called back. This student has very few skills and huge gaps in knowledge & will likely fail my class.

I finally got in touch with his father yesterday who didn't seem too concerned when I said his son had an F but said he can come to extra help. (The kid doesn't come because he has football??) He said he had customers and didn't have any more time to talk. I get that, but he could at least send me a follow up email. At this point, I do feel like it is on the parents to get their kid extra help.

2. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 6, 2018

Boy, that is heartbreaking....just do your best and hopefully the dad will come through.

3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 9, 2018

This kid is driving me NUTS....he was supposed to come after school for extra help today and then take the test tomorrow. Now, he just has to come to take the test tomorrow (no extra help) or it turns into a zero.

I am happy though because I put in zeroes for missing assignments and it was a wake up call for a few students. They finished some work with me after school which is good.

4. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 9, 2018

Yes, we put zeros in the grade book and that is always a motivator for those whose parents want that to be changed. They pressure the kids to do the work.
    I hate that he didn't come. It's hard when we care more than they do. Don't give up. He is likely expecting you to give up. When he realizes you will not give up on him because he is valued, perhaps he will turn the corner.

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 9, 2018

^
    I'm wondering if I should just put a zero in for the test now...

6. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 9, 2018

Aw...tomorrow's another day. Maybe he will surprise you. ;)

7. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 9, 2018

Its there anything else going on with this student like problems at home? I'm just wondering because it seems like there could be more to the story.

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 10, 2018

This kid finally came to extra help...but he needs a LOT of help. Unfortunately, with 10 kids, I couldn't really help him much.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 11, 2018

Getting him there was a HUGE step. Congrats to both of you!

Joyful! likes this.