Student probably cheated...what should I do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 4, 2018

I have a student who is extremely low in one of my classes. I am 99% sure that he copied off his neighbor for his test because he made the same exact as him and he solved some problems "correctly" when I know he is not capable of it. He even has long division work done out on his test without any #'s in his quotient. I tell this kid to come to extra help every single day and he never shows up...and the poor kid cannot do anything.

I have two options-- grade him very harshly. He would get a 40% in this case. He copied one # incorrectly off of his neighbor so I could take off full credit for that. (His work doesn't make sense with the one # copied off incorrectly.) I could also talk to him about it and offer him a retake. I should have done privacy folders for them but I moved the desks from groups and I didn't feel like passing one out to each pair.

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 4, 2018

Do you require they show work? Does he have the work for the problems?

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 4, 2018

He copied work for a lot of the problems. In the long division, he copied the work, but not the answer.

The only thing he did on his own was the addition and multiplication because I helped him with the addition and the multiplication was completely incorrect.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 4, 2018

I would start giving different versions of tests out.

That said, every time I've confronted a student with evidence of cheating, they've confessed so I would see what he says.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  6. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Oct 4, 2018

I have seen the same thing and I did talk to the student about it. He wouldn't admit it even in the face of obvious evidence. I then had him do a retake (if for no other reason than because he would fail otherwise because kids get just as much credit for the work as they do for the answers here).

By having him do the retake he cant complain to parents/admin that you are being unfair and punishing him for something he didnt do (you are giving him a chance to improve his non passing grade after all) and you are making sure to keep him "on the hook" for doing the work.

otterpop likes this.
  7. JimG

JimG Companion

Oct 5, 2018

What were you doing during the test?

czacza likes this.
  8. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 5, 2018

I would have him retake the test and change procedures for giving tests.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 5, 2018

How did he have time to copy a LOT of the answers without you noticing? Do you walk around the room while they take tests or do you just sit at your desk where he can see you and knows when you'll be looking his way?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Oct 5, 2018

I don't think implying that it's somehow the teacher's fault that the student cheated is the right thing to do here. I supervise pretty carefully, but I don't stand and stare at them all period - I have things to do. It's the student's responsibility to not cheat, and if they do, they should be held responsible for their dishonest action, not the teacher.

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2018

Sometimes, even with vigilant supervision and other safe-guards (privacy screens, more than one version of a test, changing seats) students figure out a way to cheat. I always conference briefly with students when I return their assessments, and, if I'm suspicious, I'll give them another question or two to do while I conference with them. When it's obvious, I have both students do questions for me; this lets me know who knows their stuff and who doesn't.

12. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Oct 5, 2018

There are a lot of reasons why a student could cheat and not be noticed. For example in my class I have kids with IEP who get dictation services so I have to write their answers for them via dictation. I also have several with reader services so I need to read them the questions and the instructions. Sometimes a class just has a lot of ids who lack independence and so they keep getting asked questions over and over.

It usually best not to point an accusatory finger when you dont know the whole picture.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 5, 2018

I didn't say it was anyone's fault. I asked where the teacher was during the test. It is a valid question if the student didn't just copy one answer. He must have been constantly looking over. I don't remember typing out the words why did you LET him cheat. Get a grip.

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 5, 2018

^
    I supervise the kids but I also do things around the room/answer questions that the kids have. I don’t have a very independent group. He probably only copied parts of 5 problems.

The kid admitted to it right away today! I’m offering him a retake.

catnfiddle likes this.
  15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2018

What are these ‘things to do’? It’s your responsibility to monitor the test.

16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 5, 2018

In my school, most teachers do other things (work related) while kids are testing and while still watching the kids.

17. Aces

Aces Comrade

Oct 5, 2018

Okay so I'm gonna put on my normal teacher hat for a second (you'll understand why in a sec) and say that it does happen but there's measures you can and should take to make it harder to cheat.

Back to me... If you feel the need to cheat off another student taking the final (only in-class test I give) for my classes... I feel bad for you. You have access to your textbook, your notes, and all your tests/Quizzes through the semester to use.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2018

That wouldn’t fly with my admin. And it does provide ample opportunities for cheating.

19. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Oct 6, 2018

Get a grip? Get a grip? Nice response.
    (Edited by me to remove some not very nice parts that I wish I could leave but won't.)
    Obviously, you have no classroom interruptions where the admin sends note after note that you have to read and respond to immediately. Obviously, you have no kids who are misbehaving so you have to take your eyes off the other ones to deal with him. Obviously, you don't have any 504s and IEPs to administer while the other kids are taking the test because the room where they are supposed to go for those accommodations isn't available that period.
    Bottom line, it's the kid's responsibility not to cheat. Period.
    (Edited out again)
    (I've obviously had a tough week.)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  20. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 6, 2018

OP, I'm so glad that you were able to get a confession, and that is best for that student. Over time, kids who cheat become dependent on cheating because they feel they can't depend upon their own skills. You did that student a huge service for their future.
    Great job.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  21. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 6, 2018

Different administrations expect different things and I obviously wouldn't do other things while kids are testing if it wasn't ok with my admin. In another thread, someone posted about non-educational free time for kids which my admin would not allow. We are supposed to have standards based challenges even for kids who are finished early and use every minute of our instructional time on instruction (no lining up at the door, etc.)

I guess I see it as the student's responsibility not to cheat as well if they are being reasonably monitored.