Student Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ec2003, May 15, 2019.

1. ec2003

ec2003 New Member

May 15, 2019

Hi, I’m a 9th grade student taking Algebra 1 (NOT honors) and was looking for some advice from teachers themselves about my teacher. (skip past next paragraph if you don’t need a backstory~)

My math teacher is retiring this year, i’m not sure if she was always like this or not, but she’s terribly mean and harsh, I can’t remember a class where she hasn’t screamed at us. She goes annoyingly fast through the material, to the point that my other math teachers of my grade are still doing things we learned months ago.

Anyway, just recently (a month, maybe two ago) she claimed she “ran out of 9th grade material” and has begun teaching us Algebra 2 material. At my school, it goes Algebra 1, Geometry, then Algebra 2 in 11th grade. We’re getting worksheets that no one in my class understands, and she doesn’t provide much help. When I showed the homework to an 11th grade friend, he said that what we’re doing is more complex than anything he’s done all year, I got the same answer when asking a friend in honors Algebra 1.

Is there anyway I could make a complaint against her for going wildly off the curriculum? I just don’t feel it’s fair to me or my classmates as 9th graders to be taught 11th grade material, which no other 9th grade teacher is teaching.

Sorry for the lengthy post, and being a student in a teacher forum.. :)

3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 15, 2019

You could ask your parent/guardian to contact the teacher and ask for a meeting with the teacher and an administrator.

4. ec2003

ec2003 New Member

May 15, 2019

I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with that since I was hoping a complaint could be made anonymous. Previously she sent an email to my mom after a small misunderstanding and for months after that, she either ignored me or was blatantly rude to me. We have a large test coming up and I've heard she's the type to hold grudges when grading (kids who question what she says or talk back are graded far harsher than those who don't).

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 15, 2019

delete

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

May 15, 2019

I would ask to speak with your guidance counselor about this.

7. ec2003

ec2003 New Member

May 15, 2019

I might speak to another trusted teacher about it instead because whenever I've gone to the counselor in the past with issues she just says there's nothing she can do (honestly think she just doesn't feel like dealing with anything).

8. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 15, 2019

I don't think this is the right place for your question. However, that said, why are you complaining about receiving more information and experience? I would think that your teacher felt your class was ready for the materials presented to you. Instead of joining forums, and looking for evidence that your teacher is too strict, try using that same energy to learn the material. Kirk Weiler has excellent videos you may find helpful if you can't readily understand a concept. Life is not always fair. You are learning more than your friends. Try being grateful for the experience of a teacher who has expertise in your subject and give it your best.

nstructor likes this.
  9. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

May 16, 2019

I highly recommend Khan's Academy to help back up the material she is teaching you. You can go back and look at the Algebra 1 videos and problems to help you understand the material she went through quickly. It's completely free and presents math topics (and others) up to AP Calculus, so it can be helpful across your high school career.

creativemonster likes this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 16, 2019

Do you have a guidance counselor? Ask them for some advice. Also, it would help if more than one student made the same complaint so.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 16, 2019

Sorry, I didn't see your response about the counselor. At this point your parents might have to step in.

otterpop likes this.