Student has been erasing my whiteboard...any tips?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Nov 27, 2018

My first period class has three "mean girls." I've had defiance from all of them and they are rude/don't do any work. One of the girls consistently was turning around/talking to the student behind her so I asked her to move her seat. She refused to move seats (already happened twice) and got a detention for defiance.

Anyways, I wrote up a few names on the board for missing assignments and a math challenge problem on the back board. I had a few students in my homeroom who erased the board when I was watching the hallway and one student who erased part of the board while I was checking homework. I am 100% sure it was this girl and another student told me it was her, but I didn't see it. This girl got up to get a tissue about 10 times so maybe I can just say that she can't get a tissue and that she can bring her own? Obviously, I cannot be watching the board at all times. What would you recommend that I do in this case? I already wrote up this student two days in a row and my VP said that we have to call mom in to talk to her. I know these students cause issues in their other classes as well.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 27, 2018

Use wet-erase markers.

They are harder for kids to stealthily remove, and when they do manage, there will often be tell-tale ink on their hands.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Nov 27, 2018

Hmm...this is a good idea for at least the challenge problem when I need to keep it on the board! Thanks!

I could also just write the challenge question on chart paper until I can get wet erase markers. But this just feels like I am giving into the ridiculousness!!

5. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Nov 27, 2018

General reminder not to touch your board unless asked to do so. You didn't see her erasing the board, so you can't be 100% sure it was her. If you see her erasing it, then you give a consequence. In the meantime, put your erasers away. Sure, they can still erase it with their hands or sleeves, but maybe they don't want to go to that much trouble erasing it without an eraser. I think it's more her trying to push your buttons, maybe.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Nov 27, 2018

I have mini erasers out that I will put away but I think they are erasing with their hands. She doesn't erase the complete board. It's frustrating that I also have to watch them during homeroom too...

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 27, 2018

If it's something that will stay up for awhile, Sharpie works. It sounds scary but it erases really easily with hand sanitizer. Just be sure to test it first.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 27, 2018

Well, and it might be useful to make a seemingly random comment each period about how difficult it can be to get dry-erase erased ink out of clothes. (I erased chalkboards with my fingers throughout grad school, and then I'd dust my fingers off on my pants. Unlearning both habits took a good deal of doing, plus a near-disaster with my second-favorite pair of chinos.)

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 27, 2018

It’s time for Amazon Prime.

Get the markers!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Nov 28, 2018

Permanent marker worked great today!! It erases with whiteboard cleaner. Thanks!!! I’ll be using wet erase markers on the back board when I get them.

SpecialPreskoo and otterpop like this.
  11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 28, 2018

Teacher: 1
    Student: 0

SpecialPreskoo and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Nov 28, 2018

Yes!! And after I had one student steal a note I confiscated from my desk at the end of the period, I have started locking up EVERYTHING that I take from students + locking my door anytime I leave the room.