Student contracts

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Irishdave, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2007

Does any one use Student (and parent) contracts in their classroom?
    I want to spell out what my expectations are for my students (and parents) at the beginning of the school year (and what they can expect from me).
    My Area will be 8th grade math. For my Algebra class I want to have it a little "stronger" than my regular math and my AP Algebra stronger yet.

3. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

I'm not a teacher yet but I defiantly plan to have student behavior contracts that both the student and parent must sign. That way they both know what is expected in my class

4. IowaLA

IowaLA Rookie

Jul 1, 2007

I plan on using them as well. I had a teacher tell me the contracts saved her one time with a parent. The parent was complaining about her child's grade (which was not what it should be because of late work). The teacher pulled out the contract the parent had signed and they went over it to remind the parent that she had indeed seen the grading policy.

Of course there is the issue of getting all the contracts back signed, but it is still worth it IMO.

Anyone have a template they would be willing to share?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2007

Our school has the kids sign a Handbook card, basically saying that the kids and the parents have read and agreed to all the terms in the student handbook.

(As a bonus, it gives an example of the parent's signature in case of suspected forgery :) )

But I don't do anything above and beyond that; it seems redundant.

6. january

january Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

simple contract template

I confess, this isn't mine - a teacher I observed a couple of years ago used it and gave me a copy (along with a TON of other great things) to use.

This was used for a ninth grade class & is very general, but you could make it as specific as you like:

P.S. (you sign the part where it says teacher signature ;) )

As a student in Mrs. Smith’s class, I agree to the following terms:
    • I will attend class each day with my binder/notebook,
    textbook, and pen or pencil
    • I will complete assignments with integrity and submit them on
    the due date
    • I will participate in group projects, discussions and debates by
    contributing my best work and respecting my classmates
    • I will respect the classroom rules and procedures every day
    • I will follow the student code of conduct and show respect to
    my teacher and fellow students at all times

Signature

As a teacher, Mrs. Smith agrees to the following terms:
    • I will provide books, notes and materials to learn each topic
    required
    • I will treat each student fairly and will endeavor to help each
    find success in class, while setting high expectations for all
    • I will update Progressbook and post grades consistently,
    making it possible for students to chart their progress in Ohio’s
    state standards
    • I will conference with students at least once each grading
    period to discuss progress and provide assistance when needed
    • I will be available every day during 2nd period and before and
    after school for conferences

Signature

As a parent, I agree to the following terms:
    • I will encourage my child to do their best work at all times, and
    will provide a place and time for them to complete assignments
    at home
    • I will contact the teacher with questions and issues as they
    arise

Signature

7. IowaLA

IowaLA Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

Thanks for the post! It is definitely something to use as a guideline.

8. Miss L

Miss L Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

That's an great template, january. I'll definitely save that. I always think it's a great idea to get the parents involved in their child's education as much as possible, and this makes everyone's roles, from parent to teacher to student very clear.

my cooperating teacher used contracts and she told me that had saved her in a few instances as well. it certainly can't hurt!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

I include a signature page at the end of my course expectations handout. The handout is basically a syllabus where I give my grading scale, absence policy, behavior expectations, and stuff like that. On the last page there's a spot for parents and students to sign that they have read, understand, and agree to the terms outlined in the document.

Having a statement like "I will be available every day before and after school" is unrealistic, in my opinion. I can just imagine one day when you have some major car malfunction and aren't able to make it in early--that's the day some kid will show up looking for extra help. One time I had a student who needed to make up a test. I told the mom that I was normally at school "by around 5:30 or 5:45"... so of course the mom drops the kid off at 5:25 and calls my school phone from the parking lot like 12 times wondering why my classroom is locked. I got to school that day at around 5:35.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2007

5:30 AM!!!!!!
    OMG I thought 7:00 AM was early!!!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

Isn't it, though? I have my first class starting at 7 AM, so I'm always at school a little early, although not often before about 6:30 anymore. The 5:30 thing was a for couple of weeks before Christmas when I had a lot to do in my room.

Our kids don't have study halls or resource periods, so the only time they can make up missed exams is waaaay early before school or after school. I would prefer to come in early, so I make my kids do the same for make-up stuff. But I'm mean like that. Ha.

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2007

NOT mean .............. ........ ...... .... Resourceful!!!:D

13. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

For Title 1, I had a teacher/student/parent/principal contract. All of us signed it and it went into their file. I didn't really have the kids look at it, because it was more of a formality for Title 1.

This upcoming year I might do something with my parents, because I switched to PK sped and I have to do lots of parental involvement stuff.

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 6, 2007

I have created course syllabus almost 7 pages of rules, policies, and expectations. This also states student expecations, parental expecations, and what the kids can expect from me. It must be signed by the child, the parent, and I as the first homework grade of the first term.

15. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 6, 2007

There is a school contract. I do have my expectations in writing that I show the students on the overhead the first weeks of school (later, if necessary). I give a copy to new students so they can see it too when they enter. I don't have them sign it because the school does and I don't want to waste paper/more time on it.

16. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 8, 2007

I have my expectations spelled out in my syllabus which is signed by students and parents at the beginning of the year. Occasionally I will have a parent not sign it. In that case I call them and make a note of the date. It is usually a case where the student (in my case Middle School) never gave it to the parents.