Student comments making me uncomfortable

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Cheekyone, May 9, 2018.

1. Cheekyone

Cheekyone Rookie

May 9, 2018

A situation has happened where a male student keeps repeating how I'm "gorgeous". At first I said thanks, you are also beautiful.

But he is pushing it. Today he repeated the same thing and then said that if he were in high school, he'd want to ask me out. This kind of shocked me and I told him to not say that, and I quickly walked off This student said it out loud and had all other students giggling over it. I believe he is doing it for he attention and laughs. This is heavily awkward and I need a formal response for if this continues. Any ideas?I'm also feeling especially vulnerable and embarrassed that this is even an issue.

This is high school and some history is that this student tried to get classroom attention on some antics. I have addressed his other issues, but now he is trying this method to make his peers giggle.

3. rpan

rpan Comrade

May 10, 2018

I think because you took the bait the first time and replied to his comment he thinks it’s alright to push the boundaries with you. It’s not alright for a male student to tell you that you are gorgeous. A firm “this is highly inappropriate” and ignoring him is a start. Document everything you can remember from the first incident and all subsequent incidents and let admin know this has been happening and also I would ring his parents to let them know this is not acceptable behaviour.

Cheekyone likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

May 10, 2018

Admin or guidance needs to have a talk with him. Once you tell him to stop because it makes you uncomfortable, if he continues he needs to understand how sexual harassment works. He thinks he's being funny, and someone needs to set him straight.

5. Been There

Been There Cohort

May 11, 2018

If the jerk continues his antics, consider scheduling a meeting with his parents, school counselor/psychologist, an administrator and if possible a police officer for good measure. Find out if the counselor or administrator is willing to take the bull by the horns and address the student's socially inappropriate behavior - otherwise be prepared to facilitate the meeting yourself.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

May 13, 2018

His intentions may or may not be bad, but either way he must respect your "no". If an adult male said this after you said you don't want to be called that, it would be sexual harassment and grounds for dismissal at any workplace. The student needs to know that. If you ignore it, and say this boy grows up and gets a job as an adult. Then at the job, he does the same thing with an attractive employee or employer he did to you--it is sexual harassment and he could be dismissed . He will think, "But I did this in high school and it was fine". You must make it clear, this is not okay, and it will not be tolerated. Do this for your sake and for his.

7. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

May 13, 2018

Honestly, if I was a high school teacher again and had a student like yours, I would send the student to in-school suspension and write the student up for insubordination and disruptive behavior.