struggling to pass the RICA

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by sharif, Feb 8, 2017.

1. sharif

sharif Rookie

Feb 8, 2017

I have never been so down on myself with taking like a test like this before. I just got my results back from taking the test a third time and I got a 199. Anyone have any advice I would appreciate it.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2017

The score report doesn't give a lot of information, but it does give some. Are there domains in which you're getting less than +++? Which ones? How are you doing on the case study?

4. sharif

sharif Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

Domain

1: Planning, Organizing, & Managing Reading Instr. Based on Ongoing Assessment.++..

2: Word Analysis+++.....

3: Fluency++.

4: Vocabulary, Academic Language, and Background Knowledge+

5: Comprehension ++

Case study-++

5. Teacher2688

Teacher2688 Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

I also got my results back and received a 199. Totally shocked, I have read on this site for some time some great material to study and let me tell you, I studied every night for over a month for 2-3 hours a night. What am I doing wrong?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2017

+++ in word analysis is pretty good, sharif. Looks like you need to improve in fluency, vocabulary etc., and comprehension, though.

What diagnostic statements do you see on your case study?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2017

Teacher2688, hugs to you too. Want to share what's on your score report as sharif has done?

8. Teacher2688

Teacher2688 Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

planning * *
    Word Analysis **
    Fluency ***
    Vocab **
    Comp *

Case study **

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2017

All right. Word analysis, domain 2, accounts for a LOT of points. What do you think word analysis consists of?

10. boomer88

boomer88 New Member

Jan 10, 2018

Hi whatever advice you have I need it too :/

I feel so distraught and broken. I have taken it six times and I just can’t pass it. I was so certain I passed this last time but I got a score of 216. My results were:
    Domain 1 ++++
    Domain 2 ++
    Domain 3 +++
    Domain 4 ++
    Domain 5 +++
    Case study +++
    They didn’t tell me any feedback or what I need to work on. These results look better than the previous time I took it in which I got a higher score. I don’t know what to do anymore. I have read, watched, study groups, memorized, etc and I just feel like I should just quit. My experience teaching has only been moderate severe special ed Autism.
    These are my results from my previous test that I scored better on
    Score 217 Domain 1 +++ Donain 2 ++ Domain 3 ++ Domain 4 +++ Domain 5 ++
    Case study ++
    Doesn’t it seem as if I received more stars this last time ?? But I got a 216?? I am so confused. At this point I just feel they want more and more money and fail you on purpose. I am just absolutely broken.

bananas1964 and Gotamutt like this.
  11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2018

My sense of the plus-mark diagnostics is that they correspond to quartiles of points earned: ++++ means the test taker earned 75% or more of available points, +++ means 50 to 74%, and so on. These diagnostics must include both multiple choice and constructed response points, and that complicates matters somewhat - but the more points in the domain, the more points one needs to get bumped up from ++ to +++.

You've improved on the case study, and that's very good - it's worth 1/4 of available points all by itself. Of the numbered domains, you gained ground on 1, 3, and 5, and that's also good. But you did worse on domain 4, and you didn't improve on Domain 2, Word Analysis. As I've noted elsewhere, word analysis in all its forms is HUGE on this test. The good news is that at least some of your kiddos are probably doing SOMEthing in class that relates to word analysis. Let's see if we can figure out what.

12. boomer88

boomer88 New Member

Jan 11, 2018

So my overall points from each domain consists of the written response and multiple choice questions? I have heard that domain 2 is huge however I have a friend that scored ++ in domains 2,3,4 and the case study and domain 1&5 +++. Which gets me very confused on as to how they grade each test.
    Do you know the break down if each percentage of how much each domain is with?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 12, 2018

You'll see this in the pdf on test structure on the RICA test page:

Domain 1, planning/organizing/managing reading instruction, accounts for 10% of available points.
    Domain 3, fluency, accounts for 13% of points.
    Domain 4, vocabulary/academic language/background knowledge, accounts for 20%, or 1/5 of points.
    Domain 5, comprehension, accounts for 23%: almost 1/4 of points.
    Domain 2, word analysis, accounts for 33% of points: that's 1/3. On the one hand, not doing well in it gives away a lot of points. On the other hand, one can do badly in it and still pick up a lot of points.

Each of the four smaller constructed responses is tied to a single domain (though inevitably they call on knowledge from others. Domains 3 and 4 get short focused responses; domains 2 and 5 have extended responses.

The case study contributes to one's percentage in all five domains. Look for, and wave in the direction of, each domain in your case study response.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. Ms. Buck

Ms. Buck New Member

Feb 11, 2018

Hey, I'm studying for the test currently. Leaving some breadcrumbs so I can see more tips.

15. Teacher2688

Teacher2688 Rookie

Feb 14, 2018

study the Chris Boosalis' YouTube videos and write the case study just like he says to do. I went up a + on each category!!!!!! good luck!!!!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  16. efrain barajas

efrain barajas New Member

Jul 12, 2018

Case Study * *
    Feedback was -describing instructional strategies and/or activities.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  17. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Aug 2, 2018

Haven't been on this site in a long time. I too was struggling with the RICA. Hang in there!

I studied by using these videos. Make sure you watch all the RICA videos and use the worksheets you print:

Make sure you print the necessary worksheets to follow along.
    https://github.com/cboosalis/RICA/blob/master/RICA-NOTEBOOK-1.pdf

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2018

Sorry I missed this earlier, efrain.

"Describing instructional strategies and/or activities" is a fairly common problem area.

Describe the strategy as you would to a fellow professional, with less attention to laying out the strategy itself and more about how you're adapting it to THIS student and the needs that show up in THIS set of artifacts. Are you going with a graphic organizer? Name a particular kind and walk through how it will be filled in, with examples drawn from the artifacts where practical.