Struggling Kindergartener

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by corunnermom, Sep 1, 2017.

1. corunnermom

corunnermom Rookie

Sep 1, 2017

I'm a kindergarten paraprofessional and we have a very difficult student in our class this year. He was in half day kindergarten last year and because he was very immature socially last year, he is repeating kinder this year. Yesterday, he had a great day until we had an assembly and then he ran away from me. I had to radio our principal for reinforcement. My teacher is excellent about implementing strategies and we are both on top of it. However, I am beating myself up about this student because I feel very unsuccessful. I'm not looking for advice about how to work with him, but rather how to support myself. I dread going to work and feel all my energy is spent on this student. I love this little guy, but I feel like I don't pay attention to any of the other kiddos. I feel like a horrible para and actually broke down crying yesterday. How do you not beat yourself up about this? How much energy is too much to expend on one student?

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Sep 1, 2017

Ask your teacher for an honest analysis if this is really the case or just you being too hard on yourself.
    It's sometimes hard to not take it personally because we put emotions into our job but at the end of the day it's a job. You need to let it go when you walk out the school gates. If you have done your best and are giving it your all that's all you can do.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 1, 2017

Agreed.

If it makes you feel better, in my slightly blurred vision I thought the title of your post was Strangling Kindergartener. I thought it was a bit extreme so I'm glad it's just a kid with some issues.

He'll probably be tough all year, but you'll be better after this experience. Even if it hurts.