Stress

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Beth2004, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 22, 2007

I've been so stressed the past few days. It's so bad that my stomach has actually been seriously upset for most of the day today. I was offered a job on Thursday, which is great, but I'm still a little nervous about that situation since I haven't signed a contract or anything official yet. After over 2 years of job searching it's hard to get excited until I know for sure that it's definitely mine.

On top of that, it's a job that I'm not technically licensed for so I'm nervous about taking the class and the test I need in order to become licensed by next May. It's registering for the class and completing it in time that's really got me worried.

Then, there's my current job situation. I went back to my old job (started in 1999) at an after school program for the summer, as I have every summer since graduating. I had told them I'd be there all summer, but now with this teaching position, professional development starts in 2 weeks and I won't be able to fulfill my commitment to them. My immediate supervisor understands because she always knew it was a possibility, but her bosses are giving me a really hard time and now they're taking away my supervisor's vacation because I won't be there to cover for her. As if I didn't feel bad enough as it was, now I feel incredibly guilty because she's losing her vacation.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I also have to call my principal from last year (private school) tomorrow to tell her that I won't be back in September. She knew I was job searching so it won't be a huge surprise, but I'm still a little nervous about calling to give her the news....especially when I haven't signed a contract yet!

Everyone keeps telling me that I have to do what's best for me, but I can't help worrying about everything. My stomach is a mess because of worrying and all I want is to be able to be happy and celebrate my new position.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2007

Beth- change is stressful. This is all good though. It's hard to feel like you are letting other people down but the sooner you let people know what's going on the better. It's reallly stinky that the summer program is taking away your supervisor's vacation but there's nothing you can do about that. Make the calles you need to make tomorrow and then move ahead to new horizons! Congratulations!

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

From reading your posts, you seem like a genuine person who really cares about people - adults and your students. You now have an opportunity to put yourself first and you know you need to (and want to) do that. You took a low paying job last year and it has helped you get where you want to go. Yes there are still hurdles and yes, other people will be inconvenienced by your plans but it won't be the first time. It may be the first time you have caused this upheaval, but it's your life and you deserve to make your future happen. Chin up, smile, breathe and enjoy the career you've chosen. You know you can do this! As Nike says, just do it!

5. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

You need prayer. When you worry about trying to take care of everyone else's stress, I think you are taking on to much.
    Also, I would say watch the stress does not affect your health. I would recommend exercise, and do not eat to much during this time. Don't do anything that could lead to bad habits. This is a time to practice good habits. I don't think you should eat within several hours of bedtime, especially fatty foods. I think that especially during stress, fatty foods will not move out of the stomach for a long time and can cause the stomach to produce more and more acid resulting in acid reflux which can lead to cancer of the esphogus.

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 22, 2007

Change is good but, you're right, it can be stressful. Everything will turn out just fine. You need to do what's best for you and your future. Don't worry about everyone else...they'll handle it. They knew it was coming eventually and will take care of it as it comes. About the contract: I am sure you will sign it in the fall (that's when you start, right?). We always sign our contracts in the fall so I wouldn't worry about it. I would, however, check with them and let them know your situation and that you need to make sure that this is a guarantee. You don't want to find out later that things are going to change again. Congrats on your new job...2 years of job hunting finally has paid off!! Yeah for you and your new career!

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 22, 2007

It does sound like you have a lot going on right now. I know it all seems crazy now but in the end it will be worth it. Let us know how tomorrow goes calling your principal. I worked in a private school for 4 years and when I was offered a public school job I was so nervous telling them! DOn't worry they should understand.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

How are you doing? I've been thinking of you. Hope you find some time to relax and enjoy what is left of your summer. Everything will fall into place! Try not to worry so much!:love:

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2007

God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

That's all you need to remember in order to have peace in your life.

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 24, 2007

Thanks. :hugs:

I'm actually doing pretty well. Everything seems to be falling into place. I worked out time with my current boss to meet with the professional development director at my new school so that she can get me up to speed with R&W workshop before the all-school prof. development starts in 2 weeks. That was one of the things I was worried about because they had mentioned doing it next week when my boss is on vacation, but we're meeting tomorrow which works out.

I also spoke with my principal from the private school today and told her that I found a position. She was happy for me and told me that if something comes up within the next few weeks and I decide to come back, my job will still be waiting. :love:

I'm pretty much done worrying about the admin. at my summer job. I've known these people for over 8 years and they are upset with me for being inconsiderate of them. What about my well being? Ugh, I really thought they'd be happy for me, but I'm done worrying about them. I gave them a full 2 weeks notice. I can't wait to be done next Friday.