Strengths and Weaknesses

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by vsimpkins, Jan 26, 2008.

1. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jan 26, 2008

I'm preparing for interviews for this year. I know that they always ask what your strengths and weaknesses are. I'm not sure how to address this during an interview, because I want to be positive and not negative.

Strengths - extremely organized, put a lot of thought in every lesson, passionate, caring, have humor, motivated

Weaknesses - during a lesson when a student is discussing a situation or thought it's not easy for me to stop the student's train of thought and refocus, Not knowing enough on the computer, planning to touch every student for understanding.

How does this sound? Help:confused:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2008

:confused:

I'm not sure what this means, but I would totally avoid talking about touching students.

4. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Jan 26, 2008

When I interviewed, I said that my strength was understanding where students were coming from and really being able to see things from their level. I said that my weakness was time management. I said that there are too many things I want to do with my students in a day, but never enough time to fit them in. I also mentioned that I know this will get better with time, as it seems like many 1st year teachers struggle with this.

I hope this helps!

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 26, 2008

I agree with time management as a "weakness" mainly because while it is a weakness and important as a new teacher to reconize, it is also an expected weakness. I think all teachers struggle at one time or another with time managment. So, I think this is a way to answer the question without worrying about adding any real negatives. Good Luck

6. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Jan 27, 2008

When you say the part about computer skills, you might want to add that you would be interested in learning more about computers. Ask if the district has workshops and teacher training for technology. In this day and age, it's important to know how to use a computer as a teaching tool and resource, and asking about workshops not only shows that you recognize this as a weakness of yours, but that you're interested in professional development to improve your skills.

7. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 7, 2009

I was wondering the same thing.....what are people saying their weaknesses are and how do you word it to sound positive!!!!

8. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

I've learned that I am always learning new and innovative ways of teaching. So, my weakness may be writing, as I am always learning and want to continue learning better techniques on getting students motivated to write. We are always learning ways to better improve our teaching stategies.

9. AnonyMS

AnonyMS Habitué

Mar 7, 2009

Cassie - LOL... I read it as the OP meaning "reach" each student. Not physically touching them! LOL

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 7, 2009

I had a professor who told us that we should make our weakness sound as positive as our strength. Example, I could say that dedication is one of my strengths, but I can also say that dedication is a weakness because balance is needed. You don't want to be so dedicated that you get "burn out."

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2009

You never want to say you are "too" anything, especially ---too organized because that can be read as unflexible and set in your ways.

Also, don't say your weakness is getting kids to refocus because this means you don't know how to keep your lessons and your students focused and on task.

Can you leave those out?

12. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 7, 2009

I answer the weakness question....

"If you would have asked me that question a year ago, I would have said_________. But since that time, I have _____(what you have done to improve yourself, the results, and how you are still working at it)___."

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

The suggestions here are great. I did want to chime in and say that I've never been asked that question (and I've had quite a few interviews). It's definitely one to have prepared (along with the "tell me about yourself" that I am ALWAYS asked), though.

:)

14. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

I'm really happy to see this post, I just looked at an application yesterday with this question in it. I decided I would think about it before filling it out. Thanks for all the help.

15. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Mar 7, 2009

Here's a little trick I learned from a professor. When the interviewer asks you to describe your strengths and weaknesses, always describe your weaknesses first, and your strengths second. That way, your strengths are the last thing the interviewer has heard you talk about. Also, you should always explain how you're going to work on your weakness. It shows that you have evaluated yourself as a teacher, and you have a plan to work on the areas that need changed.

16. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 8, 2009

INstead of stating my weakness is... you should say that " I am working on helping students redirect their comments and discussions to stay on topic" or " I have been reviewing my time management and working to restructure things so that I am able to improve it" or "I am also working on improving my computer skills to keep up with the ever changing technology, and have been looking for workshops or seminars to assist me in reaching that goal" - I do think it is important to always make your weakness a positive instead of a negative. Good luck and hope I helped some!

17. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2009

I usually say that my biggest weakness is lack of organization (this is 100% true!), and that I have worked out a variety of strategies for dealing with this over the years. In one interview I was able to continue on to add that since I struggle with this myself and have to work at it, I have been able to give students good advice and motivation on this issue. Sometimes all it takes is a pretty purple highlighter to use when crossing items off a to-do list!

18. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

LOL on the touching students Cassie. =)

Lack of Organization and time management seem like pretty good "weaknesses" to address as they are things that are expected or can be worked on. It is really hard to phrase your weaknesses in a positive light.

The "tell me about yourself" question always throws me. Do they want to know about me personally or professionally or both? Do they want a culmination of what's on my resume or do I skip that stuff?? It's a confusing process!

19. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

Think of something that will make you stand out from the rest of the candidates and talk about that. Remember, you were called in for the interview so they have already gone over your resume. Talk about something that is not on your resume.