Strange?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yoyoyo, May 8, 2019.

1. yoyoyo

yoyoyo Rookie

May 8, 2019

So a school called me with an offer. It was a position I had not applied for, though I had applied for others in the district, and I had not interviewed in person. Only completed the video interview. I asked her to double check that it was indeed an offer, for that reason, and not a request to interview, and she put me on hold and then she came back to the phone and said, yes, it was indeed an offer. She goes through the whole HR rigamarole about when the start date would be, approximate salary, the benefits they offered in general, and things like that. We closed the conversation with she would give me a day to think it over and they would wait for my decision. I decide that I will accept it should it be a legitimate offer but am a bit skeptical that it is.

Three hours later, after business hours, she emails me and said she wanted to double check that it was an offer.

Today she calls me and says the offer can't stand without an interview with some lame thing that maybe someone else had a similar name. She talked to the hiring manager this morning and apparently they can't offer with no interview.

What the?

I have never, ever seen this happen before. Disorganization en masse? So confused how they could make such a big mistake. Who is doing the paperwork here? Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 8, 2019

Someone new doing the hiring maybe? New P? Hmmm...

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 8, 2019

I suspect you have the same, or very similar, name to the candidate who was receiving the offer. Frustrating, for sure.

readingrules12 likes this.
  5. yoyoyo

yoyoyo Rookie

May 8, 2019

Honestly, that is not really an excuse. That is hugely unprofessional. Especially after I asked her to double check on the phone.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 8, 2019

Not an excuse, but could be one of many reasons.

7. yoyoyo

yoyoyo Rookie

May 8, 2019

Still so lame. I don’t see many reasons other than gross disorganization or unprofessionalism or both.

MrTempest and futuremathsprof like this.
  8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 8, 2019

Guess you dodged a bullet there. Doesn't seem like the most organized district to work for.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 8, 2019

Doesn't seem like a good place to work! Imagine them actually hiring you then firing you in the same day because you were the wrong person? Crazy!

10. yoyoyo

yoyoyo Rookie

May 8, 2019

I know right? How insane. I could understand maybe if I hadn't asked her to double check. But I asked her to double check on the phone, because I thought it was too good to be true, and she does, and then proceeds to tell me all about the offer. Then she is like, "Oh wait, not an offer." I truly do not understand how this happened except for a HUGE issue in communication somewhere. She even mentioned how I needed another credential on my license and had someone email me about how to get said credential. Then I asked her if I was being considered for any of the positions I did apply for, and she said she didn't know because she was HR. Insanity.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 8, 2019

If you don't mind burning your bridges with this district, I would be inclined to write a nice, polite letter to the district superintendent explaining the situation and revealing that you were quite disappointed in this experience. Heck, it might even get you a job!

12. yoyoyo

yoyoyo Rookie

May 9, 2019

Why would that burn bridges?

I have my name in for other positions, so I don’t want to burn bridges.