Strange parent note

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Sep 7, 2017.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 7, 2017

I got a weird note from a parent today.

It said, student will be doing -aaa- instead of -bbb- (the assigned task) for their homework assignment each week.

No extra explanation was given.

Honestly, activity -aaa- is a fine activity that practices the same skill as -bbb-. But I find it strange that the parent provided no reason, and didn't ask, instead just assuming this was their decision to make. The assignment is just basic practice, so there's no chance it's a moral disagreement or anything like that, and the alternative assignment they chose is about the same level of difficulty, so it's not that they need their child more or less challenged.

How would you handle that?

3. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 7, 2017

Honestly, I'd just let it go. I wouldn't say a word.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 7, 2017

Yeah, I think I will too. At least it's practicing the same skill.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2017

I think I'd talk to the parent and inquire about the change. Doing nothing implies consent which could lead to more parental decisions/changes regarding your pedagogy.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 7, 2017

This was my concern too. I don't mind their choice of assignment, but there was a reason I assigned the original work.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  7. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2017

I'd also want to just open a discussion -- with no ill-intent/feelings behind it, but just to understand their reasoning. I've found that almost all of the time, remaining open to their thoughts, and then finding the commonalities in our mindsets and utilizing that from there forward, not only smooths things out but also strengthens our relationship.

Obadiah, Backroads and otterpop like this.
  8. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 7, 2017

I think I would probably leave it alone for now. If another instance happens where they are questioning something, then I would go ahead and start a conversation about it. But I'm a little passive :)

otterpop likes this.
  9. a2z

a2z Phenom

Sep 8, 2017

They aren't the same activity. I would think about the difference between the two to help give you a better idea why they want one over the other each week.

I would ask

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 8, 2017

I would ask why. If it's a non-graded activity then I'm not sure you could change their minds but if it happened to be graded, and the student will NOT get credit for tasks, then maybe they would change their minds.

Backroads likes this.
  11. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2017

Absolutely agreed. The parent thought this was needed for some reason and maybe they're right and it's appropriate, but you should at least be aware. It also indicates something peculiar is going on which could be helpful or interesting to know about the child's circumstances.

a2z likes this.
  12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 8, 2017

You could always invite her in to help you lesson plan.

otterpop likes this.
  13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 8, 2017

:whistle: Eh... maybe not. Haha.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  14. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 8, 2017

This is a good point... Maybe it will help you better understand the student and find out if there are changes that you need to make in the classroom.

I guess it really depends what grade you teach and what your purpose for homework is. I teach third grade, and I'm very lax when it comes to homework. I don't like creating it. I don't like assigning it. I don't like tracking who turned it in and who didn't. I don't like grading it. I don't like dealing with parent questions and concerns about it. I just have much better things to do with my time. And, frankly, I think the same is true for kids and their families. I encourage reading and math practice of an open-ended kind, but I don't send home regular homework worksheets anymore. If I was in your situation, I'd just be happy that the student is doing something at home. I wouldn't care what it was he was doing. The fact that his parent cares enough to engage him in something academic is good enough for me. And that's why I'd let it go. I can think of twenty other things on my school to-do list - let alone my home to-do list - that seem like a bigger priority than engaging a parent over why she wants her child doing a different kind of homework. Maybe I'd ask about it casually the next time I see her, but I wouldn't make a special contact about it. That's just me, I guess.

ms.irene and Backroads like this.
  15. svassillion

svassillion Rookie

Sep 8, 2017

Are you able to ask the teacher they had last year about the parent? Maybe you can find out from them whether the parent is known to feel entitled to have a hand in the decision making at school or is usually supportive of the teacher. It may help you decide whether to approach the parent or let it go.

bella84 likes this.
  16. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 8, 2017

I would not accept it. You are the teacher and the parent is indirectly diminishing your leverage. This parent is sending a clear message to their child that you can be questioned and accommodations will be made.

As teachers we need to remember that something that seems insignificant to us in the adult world is the most significant thing in the world to an elementary student.

mathematicalanomaly likes this.
  17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2017

At the very least, by talking to them, you'll get the real answer.

a2z likes this.
  18. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Sep 9, 2017

When I read your post, it sounded familiar. There are some parental advice organizations that encourage parents to alter assignments and send just such a note to the teacher. The reasons for altering vary. The occasional situations I've encountered have been for the smallest details in the assignment, but to the parent, it was a major concern, which I respected and attempted to work with the parents when possible. I'd recommend politely discussing the situation with the parent; communication opens doors.

Backroads, otterpop and AlwaysAttend like this.
  19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2017

I would just ask the parent about it. If you don't, this, what ever this is, could grow and get out of control.

20. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 9, 2017

Hmm... I'm curious... what types of organizations?

I have seen some viral posts on facebook of parents sending a note saying their child would not be doing any homework, period.

21. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 9, 2017

I would be supportive of this.