Story problem based

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by SuperFudge, Mar 29, 2012.

1. SuperFudge

SuperFudge Rookie

Mar 29, 2012

For next school year, I am going to completely change the way I teach math. I'm going to take a more story problem solving based approach to math to incorporate more real world scenarios, and I'd also like to effectively utilize math journals as well. Before I begin reworking my approach to fit this methodology, can anyone share their experiences or advice about this approach? Thanks :)

3. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Apr 8, 2012

I'm sure you have more experience than me, but her's my two cents: A big thing at my last school was constructed responses. I think we tried to do one graded and at least one practice CR a week on whatever we were studying. The practice would be an easier version of the one they were graded on, but the same skill. Do you know about constructed response? It was new to me at the time. Basically, you give a scenario or story problem, they have to write an equation and show the answer and a picture or diagram to explain/get the answer, and then explain their process in words. It becomes really clear which kids understand the concept thoroughly and which do not.

4. cateste

cateste Companion

May 6, 2012

an added resource

When you do start next year, I suggest this site because it has many mystery/math based stories for your kids to solve. I especially like it for group work because the kids spin ideas off of each other in trying to solve a problem.
    http://teacher.scholastic.com/maven/index.htm

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 6, 2012