Stinky rooms... safe air fresheners???? HELP!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by SpecialPreskoo, Aug 17, 2006.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 17, 2006

OK... we have stale smelling rooms and a bathroom attach to our room (enough said about that smell). Several of us in here have sensitive noses and allergies.

I bought one of those airwick plug in oils and I loved the smell but one of my aides couldn't stand it... her eyes watered and she got a scratchy throat. So I had to nix that. We aren't supposed to use aerosol air fresheners due to asthma students. I have the Renuzit spray mist but I can't stand the smell of it.

I NEED SOMETHING for a CONSTANT good smell and then something to spray extra for those EXTRA STINKY MOMENTS!!

Got any tips????????????????

THANKS!!
    Lori

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2006

Use Oust air spray. It also kills 99.9% of bacteria in the air. It comes in a few scents as well as frangrance free. Take a look here http://www.oustodor.com/index.asp

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2006

I have one of those old-fashioned cone-shaped air fresheners - well two, one on each side of the room. I get the "odor neutralizer" ones, which don't really have much of a smell, but they clear the mustiness out of my lower-level (read dungeon) classroom. I've never had anyone complain about them,and I've used them for years.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2006

I think Febreze works like a miracle.

6. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Aug 17, 2006

Yep!! Febreze works EVERYTIME!!!

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 17, 2006

IONIC BREEZE from sharper image. There is a coupon in the entertainment book (see sally foster book) for money off the purchase of ____ amount.
    Its the tall stand up machine (totally silent) that I have in every room of the house- it makes it smell like CLEAN air. NO FRAGRANCE.

lori, let me know if you need a coupon for the sharper image. They do sell refurbish ones if you check THEIR site. Ebay also has the same machines....

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 17, 2006

I like the oust fragrance free spray. I can't stand the smell of oust with fragrances, but the fragrance free really does get rid of the odor. In the classroom, I ust a glade standing dome air freshener. It seems to do a good job.

9. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 17, 2006

Try a different fragrance on the oils. Some bother me, others don't. I also use Yankee Candles on a candle warmer.

10. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2006

As Mrs. R. does, I use the simple cone shaped things. Simple and not costly at all. Really though, the best thing to do is to get to the bottom of the odor problem. I understand the bathroom smells, believe me! There is a bathroom in my classroom and I pop in often to mop around the toilets and disinfect them. It takes me all of 1 minute because I keep things handy to just grab them, spray and mop. I am not comfortable with just covering up the smell because I know the 'cause' (germs) are still there.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 17, 2006

I keep a few containers of baking soda sitting around my classroom.

I clean my desks with vinegar and water. Vinegar is also a great odor remover . . . and a great cleaner.

They don't bother my allergies, and they do help freshen the air.

12. Angel_Voice

Angel_Voice Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

Put a glass jar about half full of ammonia somewhere OUT OF REACH of the children. It absorbs the odors!

13. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Aug 19, 2006

I've been planning on getting a candle warmer. our secretary has one and it smells great without actually burning the candle.

14. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 19, 2006

I am facing a stinky room as well, although mine is due to dampness and mildew....for some reason, our wing has walls that leak. I bought some of the cone air freshners, and they are ok. I would like to find something that will help eliminate the smells though, rather than cover them up.

15. jcatblum

jcatblum Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

I am alergic to most airfreshners. As of right now, I am cleaning with odorban. As long as the odorban is diluted properly, it doesn't bother my allergies. When I recieved my room, I was told my room usually smells!!! Several of the teachers girls were in my room checking it out When they went into the bathroom, the came out questioning how I got the bathroom not to smell!!! We do not start school for another week, but my room already is a hundred times better. I am not sure if the fresh smell will last once the children arrive. It is still 100+ everyday here, so hot smelly kids are sure to make it harder for the room to smell nice.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2006

jcatblum, I forgot to mention odor ban. I use that daily and it is by far the best cleaner/odor product I have ever used. It can be used in a spray bottle and easy to clean and freshen with, plus kills bacteria.

17. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Aug 19, 2006

I've never heard of odor ban. Can you get it in grocery stores?

18. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 19, 2006

I've used Oust in the past but we are not suppose to use aerosol spray cans (fragrance free or not) due to asthma kids.

I know our room problem is moldy crap under the cabinets that maintenance is doing NOTHING about. We've drilled holes in the bottom to let it air out and to spray bleach in it. It still comes back.

The bathroom gets cleaned often by one of my aides that is a stickler for getting it CLEAN!! The other bathroom that we don't use that is used by the other class doesn't get as clean. Our thought, "we don't use it, we aren't cleaning it." It is theirs to keep clean. We may have to break down and do it anyway. It is not quite as bad as in the past. (One kid used to pee in the drain hole instead of the toilet!)

I've used other glade plugs in but after 3 days you can't smell them.

I'll keep an eye out for the products mentioned and see what we can come up with!

THANKS!!

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 19, 2006

Renuzit Super Odor Neutralizer is a great non-aerosol product. I use it at home.

I bought a plug in and couldn't stand it after an hour. Crumple newspapers to keep in the camp cabinets. A piece of charcoal will help, too, for the smell. Do you use Damp Rid in the closets?

20. jcatblum

jcatblum Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

odor ban comes from sams club. Last time I checked it was about $10 a gal. The gal should last at least until Christmas, or maybe even the whole year---depending on your room. I have been using it in my home for at least 5 yrs. This is my first yr to use it at school.

I have not ever seen odor ban for sale anywhere else, but maybe someone else knows of a place.

21. Angel_Voice

Angel_Voice Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

I agree with Upsadaisy that Damp Rid is fantastic for mold/mildew and that "musky" smell. I've also heard that you can use a cheap kitty litter in a pan, put up of course, and it will also absorb that musky odor!