Still out for snow!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4vr, Jan 9, 2018.

1. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Jan 9, 2018

So, down here in Southern VA, we are out tomorrow for day 5 of snow days! Now, I understand that this is not NY, and that snow is not commonplace, but we get it at least once a year, but people here are acting like if you go outside in anything less than a 4X4 tractor you're going to die. I totally understood it last week when we had 18 degrees and 8 inches of snow. But it was 45 degress today, and most of the snow is gone. Apparently, some side roads still have slush, so thus, no school. It is insane!

At this rate, we're going to probably lost half of spring break. I don't mind a few extra days off, but I know full well that if we do eat into spring break, the kids won't come in anyway, but I'll be expected to, and I won't get anything done those days anyway.

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jan 9, 2018

I feel you! We lost 2 days, had 2 late starts, and 1 early dismissal for the weather. If we lose 4 days - then we start to lose our spring break so I hope we don't have any more closings!

4. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Jan 9, 2018

Yea we were supposed to be home from break Yesterday but closed yesterday and today.. we are all wondering what is going to happen tomorrow.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jan 9, 2018

We were supposed to go back on Jan. 2. We went the 3rd and today. And a water main broke today, so they sent us home an hour early.

6. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jan 9, 2018

I'm having the opposite problem! We probably should have been out the past two days, but my principal won't cancel (I work at a private school). Driving to work both days was really scary (I saw three accidents--one happened in front of me. Lots of skidding and sliding on ice to get here. I learned how to drive in the snow when I was a teenager, but I live in a bigger city now and I don't like driving in the ice/snow with more traffic around me. Also, two of our school buses were over an hour late to school yesterday due to accidents on the road and bad conditions. I think the entire school wants a snow day!

7. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Jan 10, 2018

This is so frustrating. When even the school buses are struggling to get there, that's a good sign you need to give up and cancel school.

linswin23 likes this.