Staying Organized

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Devotee

Dec 16, 2017

I would love to hear some tips about staying organized as a student teacher! Organization is one of my weaknesses and I know that I will have a lot more to keep track of as a student teacher including lesson plans, handouts, student work, etc. I will be teaching 2 sections of 8th grade math so I'm thinking of color coding for each class. Does anyone else have other tips?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2017

I use the OHIO method whenever possible--Only Handle It Once. If I pick up a thing, I put it down only in its home, otherwise I make a mess by having stuff all over the place. If I open an email, I deal with it right then and there, otherwise I might forget about it (so I don't open anything until I'm prepared to take a few minutes to handle it).

I also don't keep stuff around if I don't have a specific plan to use it. This includes consumables and papers. I keep digital files for all my handouts, and I keep them organized online using good naming conventions and intuitive (to me) filing.

otterpop, Backroads and Obadiah like this.
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2017

This is absolutely brilliant. It’s so simple yet so elegant. My desk is a mess because I have so much going on all at once. Thanks for this Caesar753! :)

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Dec 16, 2017

I make lists. If it’s not on the list it doesn’t get done so I’m strict with writing it down. One separate list for each class. Write what needs to be done for each class and tick it off as you go.

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 16, 2017

I have a set of 6 plastic drawers. Each drawer represents a class. I shove all the crap related to each class in the assigned drawer. :D It's not perfect, but better than the random giant piles I used to make everywhere. :whistle:

Obadiah likes this.
  7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 16, 2017

Google Drive for me Google Classroom for kids.

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Devotee

Jun 27, 2018

What do you use to organize copies for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday? Ideally, I would like to have copies done a few days in advance (or at least try to!)

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 27, 2018

I have used a crate with individual hanging file folders for each day. Within each day, I put a file folder for each class period.

I've had colleagues who had a basket for each day of the week lined up on the windowsill.

Next year, I am using one of the hanging file organizers (https://www.amazon.com/Hanging-Holder-Organizer-Hangers-Mount/dp/B01N5VR4FZ) where each slot holds what I need it to by day, class, subject, etc. I've found that day-by-day doesn't work as well for me as just having a slot for each class or content area.

It takes some trial and error to find what works for you personally - we all have different preferences!. It also takes time to get used to the structure of your curriculum materials and how you approach teaching and planning for instruction. I'd recommend you pick something to start with, but know that you may decide to change it after a few months or years.

txbelle likes this.
  10. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jun 27, 2018

I really like the hanging file folder idea! That's going in my notebook for future classroom items!

11. JimG

JimG Companion

Jun 27, 2018

Taken off because some images did not post correctly. Will try again later.

12. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Jun 27, 2018

The medium size Sterlite drawers you can get at Walmart. I have two of them so 6 drawers: M-F and then a drawer for originals. I tried many different ways to organize copies and so far this is my favorite and so much easier for me and my TA to keep up with. In fact, I just bought another set of drawers today to use for late work, absent work, and notes from home.

13. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Jun 27, 2018

I color code in my middle school classroom, and I love it! Everything (well almost everything) for a specific class is in the class color. This is something I started my first year of teaching and 3 years later I still love it. For student teaching, use Google Drive or Dropbox to help you stay organized. It makes it easier for you to carry what you need and its accessible anywhere that you have a device with an internet connection. There's an app, Genius Scan, you can download that works like a scanner using your phone camera. You can easily link Drive or Dropbox to it to save what you need. For student work, use a binder or accordion file folder.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 27, 2018

This is what I do. I put the copies in the basket in the order that I'll be needing them. When I first started, I used to label the copies with sticky notes too, but I found over the years that was really unnecessary. I remember what/which class the papers are for.

15. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jun 29, 2018

I have some of those office organizers mail boxes labeled "Tests/Quizzes In", "Tests/Quizzes Out", "Homework In", "Homework Out ", "Labs In", "Labs Out" where students take and turn in their homework. I just change the paper work out during class. So say at the end of class I'll grab all of the homework from that class (anything after the bell on Mondays is late and not accepted), take out the labs from first period and put in the labs for second period.

Then for copies I've just got some milk creates I liberated from the dump, cleaned em up, spray painted them different colors. One for each class. I make all the copies for classes the week before. I have a little rolling cart I keep them on in our little prep room.

16. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jun 29, 2018

Color coding is a good idea to keep your students organized and for you to know which students are in each class.

Other ways to stay organized:
    *Number your units and lessons if you use a flash drive so you know which order you taught your units and lessons.

*If you do not use a flash drive, use a binder to keep documents.

*Label trays for students to submit their work so students do not mix their work with a wrong class.

*Have a daily planner so you know what you are teaching each day.

Hope this helps!
    http://thatbizguy.blogspot.com/

17. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2018

I teach 5 classes of the same course. I keep 2 pocket folders for each class: 2 blue, 2 red, etc. one folder is marked “graded” and one says “to be graded.” Papers never go into the graded folder until they are graded and recorded and ready to hand back.

18. stuartmeaker

stuartmeaker New Member

Jul 7, 2018

Great information shared. . . . .

19. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jul 7, 2018

Another suggestion is to cut down on the amount of paper that you use. I keep about 75% of my assignments digital so there is almost no chance of me losing them.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 7, 2018

Every year, we have a couple of teachers who have things come up where they have to leave school immediately. Emergencies happen. Anyway, I've taken over their classes, which I have no problem with. The only thing that overwhelms me is when I can't find anything. Some people have piles and stacks of things everywhere. Sometimes, I'll just do my own thing.

Other classrooms, though, are the complete opposite: the kids know where to find everything, they take ownership of the organization process, and everything runs seamlessly.

I do have to say, though, that level of organization doesn't necessarily equate to caliber of teacher. I know some self-proclaimed disorganized teachers who knock it out of the park in terms of teaching abilities!!!

21. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Jul 9, 2018

I'm a Grade One teacher and I have a bin for each subject and will put all of my materials and copies in chronological order so I will work through to the bottom of each bin every week. I will usually have my entire week ready to go at the start of the week. This works for me because there is sometimes carry over then I don't feel as pressured to have everything done on a particular day and I can just keep working through the bin. Hope that makes sense!