Stay on the carpet in your spot!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by christine89, Aug 25, 2011.

1. christine89

christine89 Companion

Aug 25, 2011

Hi!
    So I've been trying to get my kids to sit nicely on the carpet without moving around, scooting off the carpet, disturbing other kids, etc. Today I tried putting tape down to make "spots" but didn't put names on them. Yeah, every single one of them kept picking at the tape and by the end of the day that idea was ruined lol. I have them do "pretzel legs" and hands in their lap, but that doesn't last too long.
    Any awesome tips or tricks you use? I just need my kids to sit still and focus for more than 5 seconds!!
    Thanks!

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 25, 2011

I had a teacher once tell me that it was important to remember that high schoolers only have a real attention span of 15 min and are totally "brain fried" at 30min.

I don't really have a great idea. I get mine to sit that way by reminding no less than 1 billion times and getting up to move A LOT!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2011

Get carpet squares from the flooring store ( sometime they will give these to you for free).

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 25, 2011

carpet squares
    chairs (cube or regular)
    velcro their name/picture to the carpet

I've done all these... with the same class, mind you.

I actually went so far as to do carpet squares WITH THEIR PICTURES. Only 2 of them picked at the packing tape I'd used on their pictures. When the class got too big for all of them to sit on carpet squares, I told them they were' Big kids"now, so they got to sit like the big kids... which means criss-cross applesauce on a car. (My rug has letters in vehicles around the outside). Although there were occasional fights about wanting the police car/fire truck/whatever, it really helped.

The carpet squares are nice because it gives them SPACE... my deal was that as long as your whole body was on your carpet square, you could sit however you wanted... wiggle, whatever.

Cube chairs are my favorite, though. For some reason, the kids really like them... when they sit in the "deep" side they feel cozy enough they don't want to go anywhere.

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 25, 2011

I taught pre K and used shelf liner cut into ovals. The students would come over & grab an oval & find a spot. You could also buy those poly spots. Twister Outdoors had awesome poly spots in the game, but I don't think they sell it anymore. If they get squirmy get them using their hands..pat, clap, snap, thumbs up or down. Or even pop on a quick song to get the wiggles out.

http://www.amazon.com/9-Deluxe-Poly-Spot-Set/dp/B0000BYEW0

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 25, 2011

Twister Outdoors seems like it would be like Hulabaloo....they have cool spots we have used for circle. They are different shapes, with colors and animals. It lead to a lot of musical chairs type games when we got wiggly.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2011

I think it's important to remember for preschoolers too, that they shouldn't be sitting for too long. For the kids in my class, we do no more than 10-15 minutes, and then sitting is over. Even in those ten minutes, we usually on read stories or sing songs. (We're a Montessori school.)

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2011

Praise the ones who are sitting right. "Wow, look at how quiet and still Johnny is sitting! Thank you, Johnny!" Mine straighten right up because they want the attention. I quit using anything on the floor. I have an area rug with some big leaf prints on it. I tell them to find a leaf and sit on it, criss-cross. The ones who are trouble-makers get to sit right smack in front of me!

10. pink

pink Rookie

Aug 26, 2011

Along with these other great ideas, I tell my students to sit where they can see. We don't always need to be in a circle formation. It takes a little practice at the beginning but it works for me!

11. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Aug 27, 2011

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

I guess my main comment/s is/are:
    how long are they sitting there,
    how important is it that they sit there,
    can you manage it in a different way,
    can you make yourself more interesting so they want to sit there, are you engaging them so they are active learners during this time,
    would they do better lying down (did I spell that right?)????

How's that for a run-on non-sentence?

Remember it is the beginning of the year - they all improve as the year goes on.

13. 3swirls

3swirls Rookie

Aug 29, 2011

I've often had this same problem! And usually it's only 2 or 3 kids that don't want to listen and sit down. Sometimes I would just let those kids go instead of wasting so much time just getting them to sit, because then the rest of the class gets disrupted and can'tpay attention, then before I know it all the kids are up. i'm about tostart working again with a 3 year old class (i've been home wit my 2 kids for 2 years now) and i'm trying to think of some new ieas in advance. I'm actually thinking of doing a switcha roo with them once in awahile. 1 day I may say we're gonna do circle time on our bellies, 1 day stand up, 1 day sit in a square, 1 day sit o chairs. I'm also goig to keep circle time SHORT and only make them sit still for a story and then do rythem and song, and other things to keep them and their little ands busy.

14. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Aug 31, 2011

You have to start slow and build up as far as time is concerned and make your circle time fun and interactive.

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 31, 2011

Even in the bigger ages the idea isn't to do a full blown circle each time it is to ramp up. A Huge key is to keep it interactive.....and FUN as PreK said.

16. abcme

abcme Rookie

Sep 2, 2011

I know a lot of things these days say not to make children sit on a certain spot. I do not use anything (not exactly for that reason) and we do okay. I have 3-5 year olds. I break my circle time into 2 different times so they are not sitting too long at a time. I also make sure they are busy during circle. They don't want to sit and listen to me talk so it's very interactive. We start with a couple movement songs so they can move around. Then we do our letter/number of the week with some hands on materials- things for them to touch and do.