Starting on Step 1 of the Payscale

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachersk, Aug 2, 2012.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2012

I just got a job with a great district. Everyone sings praises about this district! I am really excited. I was told that there were over 200 applicants for my position.

While I am grateful, I was a little bummed to find out that I will be starting on step 1 of the pay scale. They said that "this is how everyone starts out" in their district.

How is this possible? What if someone has been teaching for thirty years? Do they start THEM at step 1? That is crazy!

I will be making less this year than I did my first year teaching. Now, I have five years of experience, great references, and my M.Ed.!

I was just curious ... is the only reason they can do this because it's SO hard to find jobs right now? They know that if I "turned them down" they could go to the other 199 applicants for my job?

I am sooo grateful to have the position and am obviously not going anywhere, but taking such a huge pay cut is such a bummer!!!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 2, 2012

That stinks. I was started on the step I should be started on. Did you look at the teacher contract that the union and school board agreed on?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

It's common practice in many places. I think that it's been done that way for a long time, even before these budget issues. It's a way for districts to save money, potentially tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of a single teacher's career.

If it's in the contract, then it is what it is and there's nothing you can do about it. I wish there were a better answer, but there's not.

I've been tossing around the idea of making a move to another state (not for many years yet) to be closer to family, but for me it would result in a paycut of over $20k compared to where I am now, and I don't even make that much as it is! :eek: I'm looking at it as part of the trade-off of moving to a new place with a different student demographic, smaller classes, and some improvements in my personal life and my family's standard of living. I'm still trying to decide if those things are worth $20k. Jury's still out.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

Unfortunately, this is very common in my area. And yes, they probably do start someone with 30 years experience at step 1. Why? Because, as you already figured out, budgets are tight and they can easily find someone willing to take the job at step 1.

Try to focus on the fact that you will be working for a well-regarded district. I'm sure you'll have a great year.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 2, 2012

In my district, a person is given credit for their prior years of teaching experience, but that doesn't necessarily mean he/she will be placed on the same step as people who have worked in the district that entire time with the same number of years. (For example, someone who has taught in the district for 10 years may be on Step 10, while a new hire with 10 years experience in another district may be on Step 8.) I guess it all depends on how the contract is worded.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

My district - starting this year - is starting new hires out 5 steps below their actual experience.

The sad thing is - if I leave for one year and come back, I'd be making more than I am now, even with 5 years less, because we've been frozen on the payscale for so many years.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 2, 2012

My previous district started everyone at "base pay" regardless of experience because they were pay for performance. So a brand new teacher and a 20 year veteran would both start out at 35k. My P mentioned a few times that they were taking advantage of the economy by getting experienced teachers cheaply for easy-to-fill positions like elementary ed.

I was actually kind of shocked when I started on the correct payscale step for my new district- I just assumed I'd be on step 1.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

It definitely is easier for administration to do this these days. If teachers aren't willing to start at step 1, they have many others who are.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

Was your experience in public school?

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2012

That makes me furious! :mad:

We start at the "correct" step. I think anything else in public school is absurd.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

I've never heard of this. All of the districts I have been hired in have started me out with my experience. I have heard of some districts knocking off a couple of a years salary for some teachers.

13. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

It does suck that they are allowed to do that. However, I know of a teacher who managed to skip a lot of steps because the school really wanted her. She was able to negotiate for a much higher pay even though she didn't have many years of experience. I didn't know that was even possible and I believe this was a public school.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

Are you getting the step 1 Masters pay? You didn't say yet, but where was your 5 years experience?

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 2, 2012

This happened to me as well. I just started at a new school and am getting the base pay for having a Masters. I would be making 5k less if I only had a BA.

16. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

:yeahthat:

It all depends on the contract.

Really stinks when somebody loses all that. Just another way of keeping the middle class down. Have to pay all that corporate welfare and keep Wall Street happy, you know! It all trickles down to this.