Starting at a new school disliked

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Sab, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Sab

Sab Rookie

Aug 11, 2017

So apparently there was some drama at the school I'm starting at over who would get this particular desirable classroom, and thanks to someone I'll be sharing the room with, I got it. I was warned that other teachers might be upset about it and me getting the room when I'm new, but I figured they couldn't really be that mad because I had nothing to do with room assignments whatsoever.

Turns out I was wrong and some other teachers are pretty upset and acting extremely cold towards me. Like...immediately asking what room I'm in, then saying we'll "talk about it later," glaring at me, not speaking to me...
    There are still many teachers I haven't met but this was my experience meeting the few at an optional district training today.

How do I overcome this? Just keep being friendly and hope they eventually get over it?

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 11, 2017

Bring snacks and leave them in the teachers room, greet people with a warm smile, and realize you can't change people. Anyone who would act this way toward you over a room are probably mean to the children and adults all the time. You probably aren't that special lol.

bella84, MathGuy82, Sab and 2 others like this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

Aug 11, 2017

I don't think there's a ton you can do directly, because it sounds like this is a problem with them, not with you. You had nothing to do with getting assigned to this room (as far as I can tell from your post). Bringing in snacks is always a good way to win people over. Otherwise, try to find the positive people and get to know them. Guaranteed, even if there are a few sour grapes at your school, there will also be teachers who are welcoming.

bella84, Sab and yellowdaisies like this.
  5. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:07 AM

Room assignments!! This is a hard one, especially when they wait until the week before school starts to make these up or change their minds. It's up to the principal, it's up to who is in charge, not us, not anyone but the administrators. I had someone seem a bit mad at me because I got a room that someone else was suppose to get. I said, "ask the principal, I don't make room assignments". If they don't like it, then it's their problem and they need to talk to the room facilitator or principal. Yes, try to be nice, but it's not your fault. I always say, "I go where I'm told to go". It's amazing how people get so upset about this when the administrators are the ones who say who goes where.

6. a2z

a2z Phenom

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:10 AM

I would put my hands up and say "Don't shoot the messenger. I'm new and had no say in the matter." In a jovial way to indicate you aren't entertaining their undeserved anger. It is often enough to put them off guard and realize they are taking it out on the wrong person.

Also bring goodies and be cordial to them.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:13 AM

As a guy, I can say we can get away with funny coments like these. Fair or not, a woman in a new situation saying it to a woman or women that have already proven themselves hostile, would not go over well.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:52 AM

Welcome to the world of teaching where the teachers can be just as petty, childish and cliquish (or MORE) than the kids! It's great to see them modeling cordial and respectful behavior isn't it? :roll:
    I say just go in there, do your job, be civil with them when you talk, but otherwise avoid them if necessary. I long term subbed and wasn't really warmly welcomed by the staff... but nobody seemed that great anyway. They all seemed miserable, like it was a chore to be at work. How sad. I just kept conversations short and direct, and then hid in the room. I focused on the kids... just remember that THEY are who you are there for!
    If they're just bitter and jealous about a room, I guarantee they have BIGGER problems in their lives that they're not dealing with.

Mshope2012 likes this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:19 AM

I would state the obvious - have little to say about the room being wonderful. I would downplay any advantages that the room may have, and try to find something that can be positives about other rooms around you that are lacking in your room. You may have the Taj Mahal of rooms, but you will only court unrest by bragging about its superior attributes. They have a case of sour grapes, but you can help by appreciating, sincerely, things that other rooms offer. Oh, and I wouldn't be too overt about your praise of other rooms - that will backfire on you.

What makes your room so special, anyway?

a2z likes this.
  10. a2z

a2z Phenom

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:26 AM

It depends. I've had similar things be just fine. However, there are hostile women who will be catty just because they like being that way. They thrive on the anger and resentment. They will find it in everything and anything. Nothing will win those over so there is really nothing to lose.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:27 AM

I was going to say this sounds like it could end up very awkward lol.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:35 AM

Yeah - I am always careful about not overselling. It helps, honestly, to see the good in things innately. If that is your nature, people notice and assume that a positive comment is genuine. Come in with guns blazing compliments on nothing but the rooms, and the people will feel they are being played. The good news is that since the room could only go to one of the angry teachers, the rest were always going to be mad at someone!

13. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:44 AM

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I just didn't bring it up in conversation and it was a little weird at first, but the weirdness passed - even more quickly than I expected.

AlwaysAttend and vickilyn like this.
  14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:57 PM

There are hostile people everywhere. Let's not turn this into some weird, sexist thing.

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Groupie

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:29 PM

I wasn't. I was speaking to my experience as a man working in elementary education.

16. amh1819

amh1819 Rookie

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:40 PM

I am going to teach at a different school this year. Over the summer, the principal showed me my classroom. It was the only classroom without windows to the outside. I could have complained, but I'm just happy to have teaching job at school close to home and in a grade I want to teach. I can make that room cozy and comfortable. Getting upset over a classroom assignment seems a little ungrateful and petty.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  17. Sab

Sab Rookie

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:09 PM

It's a really, really big room. And has the best view. I guess I can compliment how cozy the other rooms are :)

18. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:40 AM

Maybe they are closer to exits? Lunchroom? Big room - hard to keep clean? I wish you the best of luck on this one. I would bring lots of snacks/sweets, and steer the conversations towards student behaviors, etc. It will all blow over!