Starfish Cooking Project Ideas

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Phares Hutchison, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Phares Hutchison

Phares Hutchison New Member

Jul 12, 2016

I teach cooking to the 2s, 3s, 4s, and Pre-K at a small private preschool. I have several students who cannot eat sweets of any kind, and of course, due to allergies, I am not allowed to use peanut products. In two weeks, our school theme is starfish, and I would like to use starfruit in a cooking project, but other than that I'm lost. I figure we could decorate the "starfish" with whipped cream and something healthy, but I don't know what. Obviously candy or sprinkles is out. Any suggestions?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2016

Have you tried any food combinations with starfruit at home? I'm thinking cream cheese on top then putting grated carrots or something over that, but I don't know what might taste the best.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2016

Use star shaped cookie cutters to cut biscuits or cookies
    You could also cut watermelon in star shapes
    Shape pizza dough into star shapes

Upsadaisy likes this.
  5. Acolyte

Acolyte New Member

Jul 12, 2016

Have you thought about making fruit leathers? They are a healthy version of fruit roll ups. There are recipes out there that use fresh fruit and cut out all the extra sugar and junk. You could use star cookie cutters to cut them when you're done. If you want to decorate them, you could cut up apples, berries, grapes, etc, and "glue" them onto your stars using whipped cream. You could also mash berries into a jelly and spread them on top like jam.

EDIT: Most fruit leather recipes are also gluten free. I don't know if you have to deal with wheat allergies or celiac disease, but I do so that's always on my mind. Even my art supplies are gluten free.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 12, 2016

What about making playdough as a group then using star-shaped cutters? You'd still be able to follow a recipe but the kids wouldn't need to eat anything.