STAR Reading Assessment

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Deeena, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 7, 2009

What do you think about the STAR reading assessment for AR? Although I feel it is fairly accurate in determining students' reading levels, it seems as though that I find a few students each year that do not seem to match with what their STAR results are. For example, I am teaching 3rd grade this year and two students' STAR results have shown them reading at a 5th grade level. I also use other forms of reading assessments in the class and nothing has indicated that they are reading at this high of a level. Does anyone else experience this with STAR?

3. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Sep 8, 2009

I do not use STAR for two reasons- 1. It is a timed test. 2. There are not picture clues.

I find that DRA is an accurate reading assessment.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 8, 2009

I use STAR as an estimate, or starting point for new students. I don't carve the results in stone, if you know what I mean.lol

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2009

The problem I typically have is someone purposefully getting wrong answers so they will have a low reading level, and, in turn, a low point goal.
    I make them redo it if that happens.

I don't think it is super-acurate, but it can give a ball park.

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 8, 2009

Our kids do the same thing! The teachers before me base their accepted books solely on the STAR test. By the time I get them, they are blowing the test on purpose! My only enrichment student this year scored a 4th grade level!

I don't find it very accurate either. There's no way, for example, that out of 18 5th graders, 17 of them are reading on a 12th grade level and yet can't pass the tests for the basal reader or complete comprehension stories successfully.

You can see progress if you test at the beginning and then the ending of the year, but I make sure to tell the parents to take the results with a grain of salt!