Star of the Week too Young?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by movingteacher, Jul 26, 2004.

1. movingteacher

movingteacher Rookie

Jul 26, 2004

I think this is probably a silly question - but then again I don't know who else to ask and everyone always seems to give great answers. I'll be teaching 5th grade this year for the first time. It's my first classroom and I really want to make sure I get off to a good start. I had a teacher at the school I did my student teaching call all her students super stars (this was 5th grade too) The kids seemed to really take to it. My question is, if I went with this theme of sorts and had a bulletin board that changed weekly called "Our Super Star of the Week" is this too young for 5th grade? I thought I would have the studets put a book recommendation/a little about themselves/favorite places or things to go or do etc. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? Thanks again for all the input.

3. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jul 26, 2004

I think this is a great age for kids to be able to get to know each other on a more personal level. The more they can tell about themselves the better. You might want to include a place for their personal photos, too.

4. movingteacher

movingteacher Rookie

Jul 26, 2004

thanks

Thanks for the reassurance. I was hoping to take pictures of the students the first day of school (or whenever a new student might come) and post those pictures but I think I will also have a place for them to add personal pictures.

5. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Jul 26, 2004

I think it would be a great idea for 5'th graders... I did this with a class once and at the end of the year, after everybody already had their month (or week), they all filled out a little questionaire and then I read off the answers and they guessed who it was... Just an idea!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2004

5th graders are not too old for this sort of recognition. Your ideas sound like fun. I am sure you will allow each child to be recognized by the end of the year. Really Good Stuff has an inexpensive Star of the Week banner. I actually got two free with orders.

7. movingteacher

movingteacher Rookie

Jul 26, 2004

Thank you guys so much for the input! I will have to check out Really Good Stuff, can you find them on the web?

8. Teener

Teener Companion

Jul 26, 2004

Wal-Mart also has a good banner that says "Kids are Special" and it has pictures of all different children on it for less that $5. I think it also has stars on it? You might want to check that out too.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2004

Yes, www.reallygoodstuff.com

I would be happy to send you my banners (not very wide one) if you'd like - I think I can round up a shipping tube. PM me.