Staff orientation the first day?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Momma5, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012

Just curious if your school has this and what goes on? It's my first year teaching and it's at a private school. I ST at a public, so the curriculum is totally different. Literacy is taught using a basal (sp) reader and there is no leveled library like in public school. Math is different too.The principal did not go over the curriculum during the interview but did let me take home all the teacher manuels. I planned on reviewing them all this month and writing lessons. Is it a good idea to prepare all my lessons for the first 2 weeks or so now? Will curriculum, how it should be taught, etc. be discussed during the orientation you think?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

We have a 6 hour staff meeting. Well, when you take out lunch, I guess it is 5 hours. 8-2 the first day, every year. My P goes over expectations, schedules, etc...

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 5, 2012

It will probably be mostly about school policies and procedures--more of a general introduction for all of the new teachers in the school. Good luck!

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 5, 2012

We've had this discussion before and I'm in the minority on this one, but I really think you should wait until you know more about the school's policies before getting that detailed about planning such as making curriculum maps or detailed lesson plans. If you really want to start now, ask for your grade level teammate's contact info so that you can ask her some questions about how things normally run. You don't want to make a curriculum map only to find out that the school already makes one for you (my new school does- I would have hated to spend a month of my summer doing this only to have the required one handed to me on day 1). We also don't necessarily go in the exact order in the textbook, so I would have been completely screwed if I tried to start planning specific lessons also. For example, in math we start at chapter 17. Some schools also have specific lesson plan formats that you must follow- you don't want to have to rewrite them. Another new teacher in my building spent 2 weeks of her summer in the school completely setting up her classroom- only to find out later that our orientation and staff week both allow for significant hours in your classroom for set up. Additionally, our curriculum has certain things we have to put up on the wall (math focus wall, etc.) and she had already completed her bulletin boards- so now she has to take them down and do all of that work over again. I know so many others disagree, but personally I don't take kindly to having to do the same work over or having to do work twice because I didn't follow the school guidelines. I really got burned with that in my last position and won't make the same mistake again. If you really want to start preparing now, I'd ask your grade level teammate like I said before or at least contact your principal and ask him/her your basic questions before you begin planning. We have a new P, so all of this is being covered at our staff week next week since none of the other teachers know the info yet either.

6. Momma5

Momma5 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012

I will be the only person teaching this grade level. I guess I could call my pricipal or text her, though I kind of hate bothering her over the summer. She said during our interview that the teachers set up their classrooms the day of orientation since it's only half a day. I could double check on that one though.

7. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 5, 2012

I will be the only 2nd grade teacher at my school this year too. We also have basil readers. I didnt do any lesson planing until I met with the P and talked some basics. She showed me the lesson plan format I need to use and submit each week. She also gave me a blank yearly pacing guide to fill in before school starts and submit to her. Since you have the manuals, I would focus on getting farmilular with those and where to fine the information you need and the basic units you will be teaching until you talk with the P about specifics.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

Your P doesn't work during the summers? Ps are usually different and work year-round.
    Even while on a week vacation, my P responds to emails.