Spreading Kindness

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jun 12, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 12, 2018

Any good ideas for spreading kindness throughout school? Our theme for 2018-2019 is going to be: Promote Kindness.

Obadiah likes this.
  3. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 12, 2018

Children learn from example. The process begins by students observing the adults in the school being kind to each other - of course, this has to include the principal publicly demonstrating kindness to members of his/her staff on a regular basis. Perhaps you can come up with a graphic skit at your next staff meeting depicting several humorous familiar scenarios in which staff tend to ignore the needs of each other. Then portray the same events with kindness as the focal point. Be sure to include the principal in the skit - this should be a fun learning activity for everyone.

Obadiah likes this.
  4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 12, 2018

Cute idea. Also, come up with a skit (performed by staff) for our K-3 assembly and a different one for our upper grade (4-6) assembly.

Been There likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jun 12, 2018

My school one day challenged students to approach another student on campus and say something sincere and kind to them. This was required of the entire student body. They had to get their signature from five people to show they did this. It was awesome and it brightened the mood.

Some students approached me even though they were supposed to seek out their peers and said truly moving and immensely kind things to me that brought tears to my eyes. I had no idea that some students felt so strongly about me in a positive way that it brought a bright smile to my face. Of course, I thanked them profusely.

A act of kindness goes a long way.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Obadiah likes this.
  6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 12, 2018

Children's literature can be powerful. Having a list of books that promote kindness can help. I wouldn't force teachers. I would just help them by providing a list of books and hopefully some funds to purchase the books. A few of the many good ones are listed below:
    Chapter Books:
    1. Wonder
    2. Shiloh

Picture Books:
    1. Somebody loves you Mr. Hatch
    2. Enemy Pie
    3. Have You Filled a Bucket Today?
    4. The Invisible Boy

Obadiah likes this.
  7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 12, 2018

I purchased 12 books (I found a nice list on Pinterest). I'll pass 'em around to interested teachers. If I get a lot of enthusiasm from our staff, I'll have our parent club purchase a few hardback copies for our school library (since I bought the books myself, I opted for paperbacks).

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 12, 2018

We purchased a class set of Wonder for our upper grades this spring!

Obadiah likes this.
  9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 12, 2018

My school did a big year-long thing with Kindness Rocks this past year. I wasn't super involved with it, so I can't give a lot of detail. Here is a link to more info though: https://www.thekindnessrocksproject.com/.

Maryhf and Obadiah like this.
  10. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jun 14, 2018

My school focused on kindness the last semester. Activities included:
    • upper/lower grades teamed together to work on a kindness project (my class made kindness rocks)
    • school-wide warm fuzzies, cute little craft that allow students to give a warm fuzzy to someone they spot being kind
    • friendship walk, we played music during recess and students walked in opposite directions on the field, they gave a smile, high five, etc to whoever they passed by
    • letter writing to someone who helps them everyday/makes their day easier ie librarian, custodian, crossing guard, bus driver, etc
    • kindness walk, students raised money for walking laps around the school, the money was then donated to St. Jude’s
    • the great kindness challenge, a list of actions for students to complete (sit with someone new at lunch, say good morning to 10 people, and so on)

I’m sure there’s much more I’m missing, but those are some ideas!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 14, 2018

These are resources from www.teachingtolerance.org that came up with the keyword 'kindness':

LESSON
    An Exercise in Kindness
    Substitute teachers face intolerance nearly every day.
    GRADE LEVEL
    K-2 3-5

ACTION
    LESSON
    Speaking Kindness in Democratic Classrooms
    For educators who hope to create a democratic classroom, one of the first steps is to co-create classroom rules with students. This lesson invites students to reflect on student-to-student verbal interactions and develop a set of guidelines for speaking to each other with kindness and respect.
    GRADE LEVEL
    3-5 6-8 9-12

ARTICLE
    [​IMG]
    Secret Agents of Kindness
    A teacher gave students a simple task: Be kind, but selfless. The results illustrate the contagious effects of humanity.
    ISSUE 57, FALL 2017
    PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMEN
    A Kind and Just Parent
    This piece is to accompany An Unconditional EmbraceRead an excerpt from Ayers's book, A Kind and Just Parent.

Any Small Act of Kindness
    Sara Kimmel has made her library—and her school—a nurturing, inclusive environment.
    ISSUE 43, SPRING 2013

Treating everyone with kindness
    What can one person do to create a safe, welcoming place for all?
    GRADE LEVEL
    3-5

Helping All Kinds of Families
    It was meet-the-teacher night at my elementary school. The room was ready for a new class of second-graders. The rubric for grading paragraphs and stories was on the wall around the writing center. A scientific method poster hung on the wall in the science corner. Essential questions for numbers and operations were on the chalkboard in the math area. And a picture commemorating the 50th anniversary of Brown v. Board of Education was on the social studies wall. I was ready to help my children become successful students.
    OCTOBER 28, 2010

Kindness Isn’t Just for Elementary School
    World Kindness Day is a great opportunity for all educators to integrate SEC skills into their curricula.
    NOVEMBER 12, 2013

Showing Kindness and Getting Along With Others
    How can I show people I like them and Make them feel included?
    GRADE LEVEL
    K-2

LITERATURE
    The Prince and the Rhinoceros: An Indian Tale of Speaking Kindly
    [​IMG]
    The prince and his pet rhinocerous have a special friendship. He showers her with kind words until one day he lets the thought of gold get in between his and the rhino's special bond.

Obadiah likes this.
  12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 14, 2018

Understanding Empathy
    This lesson helps students understand empathy and identify ways to be more understanding toward others.
    GRADE LEVEL
    3-5

What is Empathy?
    This lesson explicitly teaches students to be more conscious of other people’s feelings to create a more accepting and respectful school community.
    GRADE LEVEL
    K-2

Friendship Pizza
    Identifying ways to promote acceptance and friendship
    GRADE LEVEL
    K-2

Me And We: We are All Similar and Different
    In this activity, students explore the ways we are all similar and different.
    GRADE LEVEL
    K-2 3-5 6-8 9-12

Mix It Up

This activity, inspired by the free Teaching Tolerance film The Children's March, provides ideas and tools to help break the walls of division in your school and community.
    GRADE LEVEL
    6-8 9-12

Mix It Up at Lunch Day is an international campaign that encourages students to identify, question and cross social boundaries. While schools can register to host a Mix It Up event on any day of the year, millions of students around the world participate on the official Mix It Up at Lunch Day, held in late October.

[​IMG]
    ILLUSTRATION BY CIERRA BRINSON
    Students consistently identify the cafeteria as a place in their school where divisions are clearly—and harshly—drawn. So we ask students to move out of their comfort zones and connect with someone new over lunch. It’s a simple act with profound implications that we encourage educators to include in year-round efforts to promote healthy, welcoming school environments. Studies have shown that interactions across group lines can help reduce prejudice. When students interact with those who are different from them, biases and misperceptions can fall away.

Obadiah likes this.
  13. TeacherNirvana

TeacherNirvana Rookie

Jun 16, 2018

We use one of our bulletin boards in the main hallway of our high school campus to inspire kindness. On this board, we have a display where students can write thank you notes to anyone on the campus. This includes other students, teachers, administrators, and custodians even.

Each month, we change the look of the display. For example, in November, it was a turkey. The students' comments were the feathers. When we first began, there was only a handful of feathers. But, as other students read the comments left by the first round of students more were added. By the end of the month, the turkey was overflowing with feathers.

At the end of the month, the comment cards are given to the recipient. Let me tell you, it feels great as a teacher to receive a handful of kind comments.

What's surprising is the number of comments that I've received from students who never say much. They don't feel confident to say it out loud, but they mustered up the courage to write it down. I never saw them on the board, but I got them anyways.

It's not forced. It's completely voluntary, and it's highly effective.

Upsadaisy and Obadiah like this.
  14. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jun 17, 2018

This thread made my day! Yesterday, I seemed inundated with news articles about hatred and violence. Well, I guess that's an everyday thing in the news, but this morning, the articles were still clouding over my head. I needed this bright ray of sunshine to break through the clouds.

I've alluded to this before, but perhaps we need a retro-activity. When I was a kid in the 60's and 70's, music often had a theme of love. Growing up, one of my favorite songs was, Put a Little Love in Your Heart. (On my Android, I asked Google, what are the lyrics to Put a LIttle Love in Your Heart, and it showed the lyrics, gave a recording to listen to, and listed other recordings).

Think of your fellow man, lend him a helping hand
    Put a little love in your heart
    You see, it's getting late, oh, please don't hesitate
    Put a little love in your heart

And the world will be a better place....

Upsadaisy and futuremathsprof like this.
  15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2018

The first agenda item at all of our staff meetings is "Appreciations"--an opportunity for us to recognize our colleagues for some of those daily gestures of kindness that often go unnoticed. I'm planning to incorporate this, in some way, in my classroom next year.

Obadiah and Been There like this.
  16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 17, 2018

You are so right that the news can bring us down. I know a positive website that I found by googling last fall is the Good News Network https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/ It gives some uplifting news articles that help bring a bit of joy to one's day.

Obadiah likes this.
  17. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 18, 2018

Wasn't meant to be cute. In most of the schools where I worked, it was always "do as I say, not as I do". Go work at a school in which staff morale is low and you'll understand the motive behind my suggestion.

When kindness is an integral part of a school's philosophy and is exemplified by the entire staff on a daily basis (starting with reminders and recognition of individuals caught being kind to others, in the morning announcements), the children will indeed learn by example and there will be little need to take time away from the already busy schedule for kindness lessons. This is the same type of modeling that responsible parents provide to their children.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    readingrules12 likes this.
  18. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jun 19, 2018

I was thinking again, last night while I was You Tubing, about the powerful effect of music. What if we integrated positive, upbeat, uplifting music into our schools and classrooms. I've noticed the effect music has on my classes. Together, the students become entranced, enchanted with the rhythm, harmony, and melody. All the students are enjoying the music together--it's not an individual endeavor, it's a shared group activity. And again, so many songs provide so many positive thoughts.

What if students and staff selected positive songs for the school juke box. I'm not just thinking songs about friendship and kindness, but other songs also with positive messages promoting cheerfulness, happiness, or other themes that also tie in with kindness. Hey, it's hard to be grumpy when you're smiling, and smiles are contagious. And what if the juke box (if this is possible; perhaps in today's digitally tech world it is), what if the juke box ran the gamut of all genre of musical styles.

What if classrooms You Tubed fitting videos per subject. What if Barney and Betty Rubble sang When You're Smiling to match a spelling word list that included "-ing" words. Studying insects? The King's Singers have quite the rendition of Flight of the Bumblebee; and then a discussion could break out on how they work together to harmonize.

What if, now I'm really stretching things, I know, but it's possible. It's not only possible, but it's needed. What if professional musicians took time to visit schools. I can just imagine the impact the King's Singers could have during a school assembly. Or are Peter, Paul, and Mary still available?

Speaking of Peter, Paul, and Mary, "...the answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind...," but it doesn't have to continue blowing in the wind. We can grasp the wind and let music be the refreshing breeze that encourages kindness and empathy.

readingrules12 likes this.