Spiraling towards non-renewal

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Apr 21, 2017

That is the lesson I can take from here going forward. I guess he suckered me into saying how I truly felt. But then again, if I had told him that I planned on staying a long time, he'd be able to tell I was lying. Mainly because I don't lie well. ;)

2. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2017

Maybe you have answered this before: you seem to be uncertain about your position for next year but you are acting as if you know you will be non-renewed ... Thus, have you asked your P directly, if he/she will be bringing you back for next year? At this point, what do you have to lose by asking for a direct commitment either way?

Seeing how you are asking for LOR and have told your P you are applying elsewhere, why not just ask him/her if you will have a job at your school next year. Phrase it however you want, but I would ask because I would want and need to know. Districts are hiring now and it is only fair to you to get the truth.

3. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Apr 21, 2017

It is true that I believe I am getting non-renewed. Based on opinions here and just the feeling that it's coming. I'm also following the advice of not speaking to the P until after my 2nd observation. He hasn't talked to me about it and I'm not reminding him. I've collected LORs from the P and two teachers. And, I've been checking the online job app and applying for anything that fits my qualifications. The P knows I'm actively looking. He strongly encouraged me to do so when he gave me the "early warning." I guarantee if I asked if I were coming back, he'd hem and haw and wouldn't give a direct answer. Remember, he tried to sweet talk me into his "deal."

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Apr 21, 2017

Every spring I apply for jobs closer to home. Every fall I return to my current division ( I am tenured). No one asks me if I am planning on returning; no one asks me my plans at all. If you are unsure, you simply say you are open to possibilities.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Apr 22, 2017

With veteran teachers and admin on this board saying that I most likely won't have a job at my present school for next year, there's really no need to me to ask. I'm going about it as my last weeks of school. Ironically, the P doesn't have to notify me until mid-June even though the last day of school is in late May! By that time, I'll already have my belongings packed up and ready to be hauled back into my garage. Just like last year. Only difference is that I've had time to let the news sink in.

6. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Apr 23, 2017

Pi-R,
    Why are you so confident that you are getting non-renewed? You gave that a 90%. Last time I read your post, it sounded like a reduction in force?

I'm so confused.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Apr 23, 2017

I'm not sure it will RIF if the principal has someone tenured in mind for his spot. The job will still exist, but be filled internally.

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Apr 23, 2017

The P wants the MS math teacher to move up to the HS. But, in order for that to happen, she must agree to the transfer AND pass the HS math Praxis. I have a sneaky suspicion that the P has other people in mind when I'm shown the door. I'm just so ready to move on.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Apr 23, 2017

I agree with your suspicion, but am proud of the principal for writing a great LOR. I believe it will do well for you. I see this as completely different from a year ago when you were blind-sided. I can't believe you are out in May. That is awesome.

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Apr 24, 2017

Yes, we are out of school at the end of May. So far, I've collected 3 LORs. A great one from the P and 2 stellar ones from teachers whose children I presently teach. Honestly, I'm tempted to speak with the P just so I could have a clear road ahead of me. I haven't had my 2nd observation and he hasn't said anything to me besides an e-mail to all faculty reminding the non-tenured of an impending observation.

What should I tell him if he asks me first though? I'm leaning towards "As you know, I'm looking for a new position but haven't found one yet and I'm uncomfortable with resigning until I find a new job."

If he brings up non-renewal or pink slip, what's an appropriate and professional response? I don't think "Do what you need to do" would work. ;)

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Apr 24, 2017

Can't you just say you were advised by a union rep on what to do? You don't have to say anything else really. It's not like you have to impress him any longer.

MissScrimmage likes this.
  12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Apr 24, 2017

Sounds good. So far, avoiding him has been easy. But, there will be a place and time when an answer will be required and it's better to have something to say.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Apr 24, 2017

You don't owe him anything but the most basic of answers. He's really sounding more and more like a Bozo to me but I haven't had the "pleasure" of meeting him ;)

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Apr 24, 2017

Resignation would not be a word I would even consider. You have the LOR, and resigning only robs you of unemployment. Sorry, but I see no upside in that under any circumstance. Just say that union council has told you not to resign under any circumstance, so you are following their counsel. If you are going to listen to anyone, make it the people who should know the most about the process. Actually, "Do what you have to do." sounds like the best answer yet.

I would choose unemployment, but it would be about the money at this point. Money talks, and it sure pays the bills.

Caesar753 and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  15. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Apr 25, 2017

No way will I resign unless I land a new job.

On a new note, rumor had it a non-tenured PE teacher is leaving. Dunno if it's his choice or not. Probably increases my chance of non-renew from 90% to 99%. ;)

16. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Apr 25, 2017

I agree with the post above. Area-of-a-Circle* (Pi-R-Squared), right now across the country we are seeing a new attack on teachers. That is the sickdays showing up on evaluations. I am sure in a situation where someone has to drive 65 miles, they might be saying, hmmmm that COULD hinder attendance. I agree with what Caesar753 is saying for this situation, make them work for it.

17. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Apr 25, 2017

A LoR also shows you were the one who decided what was right or wrong for you though.
    I for one would not want to explain a 3-6 month or more gap. I would make sure I find a better fit the next time around. If you tell an employer what happened to you they will either say you are bitter or possibly they can identify with you.
    As long as you frame your story right and explain what you learned from the experience I think it can be helpful. It certainly depends on the situation you are in.

18. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Apr 25, 2017

Well, I haven't had a healthy year. So far, I've taken 6 sick days along with 3 personal (2 test days and 1 to care for family). I'm about to take more personal days for other family concerns.

19. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

Apr 25, 2017

Word is he was pink-slipped.

20. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Apr 26, 2017

I have to say... you really like drama.