Spending Money on your Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Jun 3, 2018

How much do you spend on classroom supplies every year?

I personally find it unfair that so many teachers spend their own money on their classrooms. (I'm already annoyed that I have to pay to get fingerprinted!) I am a first year teacher next year and I am hoping that my district has a classroom budget but I am still not sure.

I have watched teacher videos on YouTube and I was shocked at how much some teachers spent on their classrooms. I am personally happy to buy my own planner, sticky notes, pens, etc. since I like certain types/colors. But I definitely don't want to end up paying for my students' supplies, whiteboard markers, a stapler, hole puncher, tape, glue, etc. I'm working in a low income school so I'm not sure how many supplies my kids will bring. As a first year teacher, I know there are probably organizational things I will have to buy like trays for organizing my supplies, trays for organizing copies, turn in bins, etc. I also see decorating the classroom as an expense because I need bulletin board borders, posters, letters, etc. I would also like to laminate things that I put up, but I would likely have to buy a laminator! I know that middle school teachers don't have to buy as many things as elementary teachers but it's still overwhelming!

It also seems like my school doesn't have a curriculum for teachers. As a new teacher, I don't want to be making my own resources every day. That's what I did for my student teaching and it wasn't sustainable. My mentor teacher suggested that I start with Engage NY, but in my student teaching I found that I really didn't like Engage NY. I'm worried that I'll end up having to spend $$ on teacherspayteachers and other curricular resources. I would be annoyed if I had to buy my own textbook but I really don't think I can make my own materials all year.

I am lucky because my scholarship program gives us about $150 to spend so I might buy mini whiteboards or a math manipulatives for my students. (Or maybe I'll invest in a curriculum.) I am obviously not spending any of my money or my scholarship money until I see my classroom. I'm going to use some organizing supplies that I already have at home too. Does anyone have any tips for saving money as a first year teacher?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jun 3, 2018

Low income school as well. We are given 0 stipend, no supplies except for textbooks. I have bought all my baskets, children's books, decorations, personal supplies, copy paper, chalk, whiteboard markers, pencils, erasers, glue, scissors, notebooks, etc. Students who come in without supplies, I provide them with what they need as well. We've been out of glue for ages so I bought 8 cheap bottles from Walmart and 4 of them have disappeared. We've also been out of pencils so I bought a huge box of them from Costco and put little tape flags on them so the students know they are mine. Within a few weeks all are gone, sigh. But when can you do, I've just accepted that this is how my school environment is. We're doing the best we can to provide our students with what they need. Not all schools are like this but our school just doesn't have the $$ to provide teachers with everything they need and neither do our parents.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Jun 3, 2018

Wow...you have to buy your own copy paper? :( I have never heard of that.

5. Janlee70

Janlee70 Rookie

Jun 3, 2018

As a retired teacher of 32years my advise would be to find out exactly what your school provides you before buying supplies. If you find you need to buy a lot I would definitely check out the following ways to outfit your room on a budget...library book sales, garage sales, rummage sales at churches (my church is currently setting up our 3 day sale and I can say you can find tons of things for a classroom that are cheap and many times brand new). There are organizations that provide filled backpacks for needy students at the beginning of school. Are these available to your students? If so this will save you money. Many teachers try to outdo each other in their decorating. This was never the case at my school. Student work became the “decorations” most of the time. Also ask friends and family for items they no longer need.

a2z and bella84 like this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jun 3, 2018

I've spent a lot of money over the years, but because I wanted to more than because I had to. Every year I turn in a supply list, and I've always gotten what I needed. (Usually $200 range.) I buy a few things on my own, just because I find what I need and grab it.

7. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Jun 3, 2018

DonorsChoose.org!

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 3, 2018

Join Naeir. Google it. It’s much cheaper than buying at a store, but you have to plan well in advance as it takes a while to come in.

miss-m likes this.
  9. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Jun 3, 2018

Not even a low income, federal funds card?

10. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Jun 3, 2018

The Special Education department is given $10,000 for activities and field trips. This is for the special classes, resource rooms, and consultant teacher rooms.
    In addition, every classroom in the building is requested to do inventory at the end of the school year for school supplies and classroom items. We turn in a list of essential supplies, new curriculum materials, bonus supplies, and classroom other. The District Supplies (shipping and ordering) Department and Budget Department see what they can do to fully provide for each classroom.
    For some reason, every year......they give my classroom 100 pencil packs. I, literally, need 1 pack of pencil for the entire year.
    Currently, the district is looking into getting laptops for each student (not just a few computer carts) and 1 or 2 classroom computers.

The Budget has changed a little.

11. Been There

Been There Cohort

Jun 4, 2018

As a former teacher and administrator, I know that there are always enough school funds despite what you are told. At least in the past, low-income and Title 1 schools always had plenty of money for supplies and equipment. The problem is that in many cases that money is purposely not always made readily available to teachers. New teachers seem all too quick to accept the unwritten "requirement" that they must commit a percentage of their paychecks for classroom supplies and equipment. So, many administrators have learned to simply hold back the funds long enough until teachers complete their shopping sprees. I have no idea what they do with all the money saved.

If I were entering the workforce, I would meet with the principal and confess to not having the money to outfit my classroom. Then present your administrator with a basic list of the things you will need and request his/her help in acquiring them. This worked for me and may work for you too! As a contrarian, I refused to spend my own money on work-related stuff for many years - it's not impossible.

12. rpan

rpan Comrade

Jun 4, 2018

When you are a first year you tend to spend more initially to set yourself up but can reuse many things for subsequent years. Before you go to teacherspayteachers, try Pinterest. I buy the lowest quality and cheapest stationery if it’s for students on the basis that I’ll never get it back. If it’s for myself I buy the best quality I can afford because I think the quality helps it to last longer.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Jun 4, 2018

I work in a province that has curricular standards I must teach, but there is no packaged curriculum that I must use to teach the standards. I can do whatever I want to cover those standards. So, I make a lot of my own stuff. It's not impossible, but once it's made, it's made and it suits my needs to a tee. Occasionally I go onto Teachers Pay Teachers, but often the materials don't align with my standards.

One thing that really reduced the pressure was accepting that we don't need a different activity or cute worksheet for every standard. Spend some time researching some tried and true strategies - Kagan comes to mind, and learn how to mix and match. It's amazing what a good read aloud, think-pair-share, discussion can cover. It doesn't always have to involve a lot of materials.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Jun 4, 2018

Thanks everyone for the advice!! I'm feeling a lot better because I have been spending my morning organizing supplies I already have and I realized I have a TON! I was really into crafting a few years ago and I have a ton of supplies that have been sitting in my house unused like tons of colored cardstock, lots of new markers/colored pencils, painted vases I can use for decor, popsicle sticks, painters tape and washi tape I can use for my whiteboard, etc. I was thinking of printing some free posters on the cardstock and also printing a free number line on it for my classroom. Then I was looking through old school supplies that my sister and I had and I found about 15 binders in good condition. I also have tons of plastic page protector sheets. So I will not have to purchase binders for curriculum materials, a sub binder, etc. I also have several baskets and bins for storage and I have a desk set and a tray I can use to have kids turn in papers in my apartment. I was thinking of also asking my friends/my parents' friends if they have any supplies they are not using.

a2z likes this.
  15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Habitué

Jun 4, 2018

This is so reassuring!! Thank you.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jun 4, 2018

I must confess, I am a shopaholic. I absolutely loved beautifying my classroom. I spent such a huge amount of time there that I wanted it to be aesthetically pleasing--while also being as functional as possible for the kids, too. Nowadays, as an administrator, my office is outfitted with nice pieces. I'm here 12 hours a day many days, so I want to be comfortable and happy.

Here at my Title I school, students show up with nothing in terms of supplies. We provide everything: paper, glue, pencils--you name it. We even have several companies and churches that provide backpacks for our kids. We provide the basics for our teachers, too: ink cartridges, reams of paper, all stationery supplies, etc. We don't, however, provide things such as bulletin board border or things to make the room pretty (other than a wide assortment of flame retardant butcher paper in various colors).

Also, we like for every classroom within the grade-level to have the same things--that way, it's not the haves vs. the have nots. For example, if one classroom has a huge Lakeshore rug and a bunch of flexible seating, the other rooms will have the same thing. That is, unless the teacher has purchased extras with his/her own funds.

LittleShakespeare likes this.
  17. LittleShakespeare

LittleShakespeare Companion

Jun 4, 2018

Me too. I tend to spend a lot of money on my classroom, as well as supplies for the students. To be honest, on the first day of school, I always provide my students with goody bags. Inside, there are headphones, pencils, highlighters, red pens, and candy. I come from a high-needs school, and our budget is quite low, so I want to ensure the kids have everything they need.

mathmagic likes this.
  18. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 4, 2018

These are useless without dry erase markers, and when dealing with a population of students who have little money asking them to buy dry erase markers which are expensive is a bit much in my opinion especially since they dry out with the cap off, get lost, or get the tip squished by those who don't know how to use writing tools properly.

Think carefully about your ideas in terms of funds and what you want to spend money on. Don't expect your students to be buying a lot of items.

19. Been There

Been There Cohort

Jun 4, 2018

Ms. Holyoke,
    Just thought of a fantastic idea for you to try tomorrow! Write up a list of everything you absolutely NEED, including the amount (number of items or boxes, etc.). Make copies and distribute them into teachers' mailboxes along with a friendly note asking if anyone can spare any of the listed supplies. If you like, you can tell them to exclude anything that was purchased with their own money!

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jun 4, 2018

Personally, this isn't the first impression I'd want to make.

bella84 likes this.
  21. Been There

Been There Cohort

Jun 5, 2018

If you were hired to work at a dysfunctional school with incompetent administrators, where basic supplies and equipment were not readily available, you might not be overly concerned about making a good "first impression". A new teacher's primary concern is basic survival and fortunately veteran teachers are often more than happy to share their hoarded supplies with newbies.