Spelling

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Touchthefuture, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

Hi
    This is my 2nd year teaching 2nd grade and I am still not sure how I should handle spelling. Last year we started spelling around October and I started with high frequency words and then words from the student's writing. Anyways, I had individual spelling words and it was so hard to manage let alone finding the time to administer. What do you do for spelling? Do you have class lists or individual lists? How do you differentiate between high and low spellers? How many words do you give each week? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 6, 2007

We have 1.5 lists. We have a class list. Then an extra so many words for high spellers. When we do the word study, we use all the words for vocabulary comprehension and recognition. If they can spell the word we beam appropriately, but it isn't necessary. Then on the test we admister the class list first. Then whoever is not taking the high speller test (we don't call it that of course) goes and picks up a word search paper that the kids love doing after the test. They stay busy while we finish the test. So far nobody has been "offended" by this method and a few have chosen to rise to the challenge when it wasn't thier set of words.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2007

I would suggest looking into buying Words Their Way by Donald Bear. I plan on using this program as my word study and then give my kids these words for spelling practice every week. And I will throw in some high frequency words as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until I try this out. But I think this will be more beneficial for the kids as well as make my spelling routine more differentiated....not everyone will have the same spelling lists! I'm very excited about this. I think it will do wonders for my 2nd graders.;)

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2007

Oh yeah. I plan on having like 3 different groups in my room. So Group A will have a list based on their needs. Group B will have their list and Group C will have their list. So I will only have to administer my tests once, but by using 3 diff. lists. Does this make sense??

6. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

I have a set list of grade level words. I give a COLD pre-test on these words on Monday. Those who only miss 0-1 may keep that as a final grade for the week. As we do spelling practice-they use challenge words instead. I do not test on the challenge words, I just want them to work with them instead of the ones they already know. This seems to work well.

I did have a couple of students last year who were below level spellers. I gave them an easier list and I would test them on these words on Friday. While I gave that test, a student who had challenge words would give the regular test to the others. (I was in the back of the room to monitor!).

7. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 8, 2007

I love the spelling program I made up and a lot of teachers I've shared it with have loved and used it. I started out with 1 word family a week (ack for instance) and then wrote 3 lists of 6 words, say list 1 is pack, sack, rack, etc. List 2 is Stack, crack, packer, List 3 is stackable, repacking, etc. mostly using prefixes and suffixes for list 3. Then I added 4 sight words all 3 lists would use. The best part was all week I could do spelling bingo, spelling battleship, word sorts, making words, all the things you do with the same word family and kids who are low would experience working even with list 3 words, sounding them out etc. For word wall that week we had our 4-5 words, usually 4 and I'd add in a few review words. I gave each kid a Spelling Activities List. This would have 25 ideas for things to do that week with their list. They kept this list all year, it was bright pink cardstock. (Stuff like make up a song using words, do a wordsearch using words, write words in rainbow colors, in a sentence, on the computer, etc)They could choose to do 3 of them. Then on Friday all I had to say for the test was Word 1, list 1 sack, list 2 stack, list 3 stacker. By word 6 all took the same word. I added 3 sentences using the words each week on their list but for test I only dictated 2 sentences. It worked great on Spelling Test paper. On the back I had them do 4 vocab. words we'd worked on all week and then write me a short letter in proper letter form. I answered every letter back. Spelling was a big part of my curriculum. I highly recommend using the 37 word families mixed in with sight words. I don't try to do individual lists. Too hard for practicing all week with whole class. And too hard to give indiv. tests!

8. beanie

beanie Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

thanks for asking this question - my partner teacher and i are currently road testing a spelling process with the M100W program (magic 100 words) http://www.magicwords.com.au
    it seems we are starting to head in the right direction...

9. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 8, 2007

My school uses the trophies spelling program so we have assigned words. They are HARD, but most of the kids do good with them (on our first test one of the words is complete). We have 15 words and a bonus word. I give homework throughout the week and they do the worksheets on Tues-Thurs. On Monday they put the words in their word books then on Friday we play a game like Sparkle or something I've made up and then take our test.

10. yessc31

yessc31 Companion

Sep 9, 2007

how many words should i give my 2nd graders? Where do people get their lists. i was thinking 5 would be our word wall words (introduced that week) and not sure what the rest should be. any thoughts?

11. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Sep 10, 2007

Our series has 10 words that follow a phonics rule and then 5 high freguency words.
    games, same, make, take, etc.