spelling & vocab homework?

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by rfteacher, Aug 23, 2009.

1. rfteacher

rfteacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

I'm new to 2nd grade. We have Open Court in in Los Angeles. The kids get 10 spelling words and 5 vocab words a week. What kind of nightly homework assignments do you give regarding spelling words? And vocab words? I appreciate your responses. Thanks a bunch.

3. gorgeouskid

gorgeouskid New Member

Aug 23, 2009

I also teach 2nd in Los Angeles and we use Open Court.

Monday- write each word 5x
    Tuesday- ABC order
    Wednesday- use each word in a sentence
    Thursday- word search and study for test
    Friday- have test signed and write each incorrectly spelled word 10x

I do the ten OC words, but don't always put the vocab words on their spelling list. Instead, I'll put high frequency words that I notice are spelled incorrectly in their writing on the list (ie- because, friend, teacher, etc.)

Units 1 & 2, I give 15 words. Units 3/4 I increase the number to 20 and by Unit 5, I give 25 words. Some teachers in my grade level give 25 words all year, but I feel that 25 is too much for second grade.

eta- I don't really give vocab homework as most kids don't have English speaking parents to help them at home. We do classroom activities instead.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 23, 2009

rfteacher - I do not give vocabulary homework. For my spelling I give my students a choice of 8 activities of which they must do 3. They have a total of 12 phonetic words, 3 challenge phonetic words, and 5 Dolch Sight Words per week. The words and activity sheet are given out on Monday, as well as their spelling notebook. The activities are due on Friday morning. If activities are completed prior to Friday they can hand in their spelling notebook. I give the spelling test on Friday. In January, I give out a new activity sheet with more challenging activities. Here is a copy of the activity sheet for Sept. - Dec.

SPELLING ACTIVITIES FOR THE WEEK

You are to complete at least 3 of these spelling activities for the week. ALL are due on Friday. They are to be written in your spelling notebook. On the top of each page you must write your name and the date. DO NOT WRITE ON THE BACK OF A PAGE!!

You can complete all 3 activities in one night, or complete one on Monday, one on Tuesday, and one on Thursday, or 2 on Monday and 1 on Tuesday or any combination you like. As the year goes on, you must vary the activities you choose. YOU CANNOT DO THE SAME ONES OVER AND OVER.

These are the activities you can choose from:

1. Write all words 3 times each. (I will tell you when you will have to write in cursive)

2. Write all of your words in ABC order.

3. Choose 8 words and use each word in a sentence. The sentence must have at least 7 words in all.

4. Choose 8 words. Write as many words as you can by using the letters in the word.
    Example: train: rain, ran, tin, in, an, rat, tar, air, art

5. Have an adult give you a practice spelling test. Any word wrong must be rewritten 3 times. THE ADULT MUST SIGN THE TEST.

6. How Much Does The Word Cost? Choose 8 words. Letters are given a money value. Write the word, then the value of each letter and get the total amount of money the word is worth. Example: DOG = 4 + 5 + 4 = 13cents

Letter Values – All Vowels equal 5 cents
    B, C, D, F, G, H equal 4 cents
    J, K, L, M, N, P equal 3 cents
    Q, R, S, T, V, W equal 2 cents
    X, Z equal 10 cents

7. Choose 8 of your spelling words. Write one of the words. Cut out the letters of the word from a newspaper or magazine and paste the letters next to the word. (Don’t get glue all over the paper)

8. Choose 8 of your spelling words. Next to each word write at least 3 – 4 words that rhyme with your spelling word.

5. rfteacher

rfteacher Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

Thanks a lot for the info. You have great ideas.

6. tchnzfun

tchnzfun Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

1. Boat words-
    example:
    b
    bo
    boa
    boat
    draw a sail around the word, write word in boat under the sail.

2- create a word search with words. Use word searches in spelling station.

3- sentences

4- rainbow words- write word using rainbow colors (so 6 x's each but it's colorful)

7. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 28, 2009

I have a chart that have like 10-15 options they can pick from. PM me with your email and I will send it to you.