Spelling Homework Ideas

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by cityfrog6, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Sep 28, 2008

Hi,
    We are starting our spelling program this week and I am having trouble thinking of activities for homework/practice.
    So far, I have write the words three times and make flashcards (still need to find a place where I can make them). I need at least one more idea. We do homework Tuesday through Thursday. Can anyone share what they send home? Please? Thanks!

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2008

I have my kids make their own cards. I take a piece of construciton paper and fold it into eighths. They write their words one on each rectangle. but we do that at school.

I don't give spelling homework, maybe I should.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 28, 2008

My 5th graders love spelling ladders. They turn their lined paper sideways and use the columns. For example, say the word is again. They would write a at the top. Beneath it they would write ag, then aga, then agai, then again for the final. They enjoy using colored pencils and patterns with the colors of letters.

5. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 28, 2008

I make a weekly spelling packet it is always the same. I have two different packets for my students ability levels. I teach students with autism and cognitive delays.

Here is what is in my packets:
    Write words 2 times each
    Draw picture
    Pick five spelling words and write a sentence for each picture
    ABC order
    Fill in missing letter

What is nice about the spelling packet, is that it is already made. I just put it in their mailboxes on Monday. Also, the students get used to what their spelling homework is and they know what to expect. It is always the same.

Hope this helps.

6. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Sep 28, 2008

Thanks, it really does! I previously taught Pre-K and some of this first grade stuff is new to me. And I have one parent who wants spelling homework so much. I just didn't know how much or what kind would be appropriate for the kids. Thanks again for the help!

7. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Sep 28, 2008

That seems really cool. Kind of like rainbow writing the words, perhaps? I'm more of a visual person, I'm trying to figure out if they write the parts in different colors.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 28, 2008

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 28, 2008

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 28, 2008

I love it when somebody puts something together like that. Just perfect.

Now if I could only find a site that had all the reading response graphic organizers one could handle. Then, I would be in heaven:)

11. tchnzfun

tchnzfun Rookie

Sep 28, 2008

We do boat words which is similar to the ladder words. If the word is "always" the kids would write it like this:
    a
    al
    alw
    alwa
    alway
    always

Then they put a triangle around the word and draw a little boat at the bottom to make a sailboat. This is from Heggerty Writing- one of my colleagues went to a workshop. The kids really like this.

12. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

I do word wagons. I have a paper where I used the computer to make little wagons....just a rectangle with two circles for wheels and then a straight line for a handle. They write the word in the wagon and then the first and last letter on the wheels.

I also do word triangles. They have triangles on their paper and write each word on each side of the triangle.

13. soflgal

soflgal Companion

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 30, 2008

When the kids do ladder words (or anything similar), they can color vowels one color, consonants another, or all first letters the same color, second letters another, or any combination they choose. You could choose to have them incorporate skills you are working on - use one color for prefixes, one color for roots, etc; one color for silent letters; one color for long vowels, one for short vowels, etc.