Spelling Help

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Tutor0223, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Tutor0223

Tutor0223 New Member

Sep 13, 2007

I am a high school student who just recently started tutoring 2nd graders. I've been noticing that the kids are having a hard time spelling words that they should already be knowing how to spell. Are there any tips on how i can improve their vocabulary with limited resources? :confused:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2007

OK- how do you know that the misspelled words are words 'they should already know'? Spelling is a developmental process. You can help the students you tutor by studying spelling patterns (often called word families) Get white boards. Have the student write a frequently seen word (ex: can) on the board. Now ask the child to change one letter and make the word say 'man', then 'van' then 'tan'...you could even have them change middle sound- 'tan' to 'ten' or ending sounds 'tan' to 'tap'... You could do similar activities with letter tiles or magnetic letters...

Are you also trying to improve vocabulary or just the spelling?

4. Tutor0223

Tutor0223 New Member

Sep 14, 2007

I searched online for 2nd grade words and made a list. I guess i'm trying to inprove both vocabulary and spelling, but lately all that i've been doing is spelling. thanks for your help.