Spelling Help for a 4th grader?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by dharmacupcake, Jul 17, 2014.

1. dharmacupcake

dharmacupcake Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the novel! :lol:

I signed up a few minutes ago just so I could get some insight into this problem! My mom runs a tutoring center, and I started out helping her a few years back just here and there. Before I knew it, I had a student of my own! I've been tutoring her one on one for 3 years, and she'll be in the 4th grade in the Fall. She has greatly improved in almost all subjects for the most part now that she's found the right school for her. Really, there's only one thing that still worries me, and it's her spelling abilities. I have a feeling it's because she was moved around from school to school in her formative years, and didn't get a good base education in spelling rules, vowels, blends, etc.

But despite repeated corrections, being taught about vowel sounds, and learning about homophones, she still makes a lot of mistakes in her spelling. For example, I've seen her spell neighbor as nabor, dollar as doller, great as grate, take as tack, much as mutch, many as meany, mixing up hill/heel and fill/feel, and so on. Her spelling has gotten slightly better in some ways, but through these three years, she still makes mistakes like these. It definitely worries me that she's behind her classmates because of these simple spelling mistakes. She's made so much amazing progress, and I don't want her to fall behind again.

Now, I majored in Journalism, so this isn't exactly my field. While I did develop a complete love of teaching and have learned a ton about it while working with my mom, I readily admit I am not a teacher and still need help with this kind of thing. What do you recommend that would help get her spelling in order? Start from scratch with a phonics book like my mom suggests? Simple repetition? Go over spelling rules? Nothing seems to stick. :unsure: I also don't want to confuse her when school starts back up because she'll have spelling words of her own to memorize as well. So frustrating, haha. I'm definitely not an expert and would greatly appreciate some input!

By the way, I also posted this on ProTeacher right before this, just putting that out there. I want all the advice I can get!

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 17, 2014

The book "Words Your Way" is a great book for vocabulary/spelling. They offer several ideas to help. The pre assessment you do helps you see where she needs help and then they have various activities she can do to learn.

4. dharmacupcake

dharmacupcake Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

Thank you! I've actually heard of that book before through my searches, and it seems to be mentioned a lot. I need to check it out!

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2014

Does she read often? Sometimes I find students who continue to spell "simple" or words they should know, are the students who spend the least time reading. Students who enjoy reading, who are reading all the time, are constantly exposed to spelling patterns and even start to pick up on a lot of the words that don't follow the rules- because there are sooo many. Just something to think about. But I would definitely look into words their way too.

6. dharmacupcake

dharmacupcake Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

Honestly, I don't think she reads as much as she should. She only really started getting interested in books last year when she changed schools, but that's a lot of catch up to do.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2014

I think if you can find some books she's interested in and get her reading more it will definitely help improve her spelling (as well as many other skills.) Her age is perfect for chapter books and there are a lot of different series books out there. Series books are great for reluctant readers because once they read one you've got them hooked! What sort of things does she like, maybe I could suggest some books my students enjoy.

8. dharmacupcake

dharmacupcake Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

I agree, chapter books are great for this age! She's really into everything Disney, as well as animals. Plus she loves to talk and be silly-which can be distracting during our lessons, haha.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2014

Many of the Disney/Pixar movies are made into "junior" novels. Not the best literature, but definitely something that might get her reading. Also there is a series called "Kingdom Keepers" that's sort of a sci-fi series about kids that takes place in Disney World. She might be turned off by them because they're long but maybe you could do a little, you read, I read a chapter to you, sort of thing.

There's a lot of Magic Treehouse books that have to do with animals- that's a popular series. My class loved "A Perfect Time for Penguins." Maybe even try some non-fiction animal books, there are tons for her age level.

10. dharmacupcake

dharmacupcake Rookie

Jul 19, 2014

Thank you so much! You've really been a big help. I think I'm going to look into the Kingdom Keepers series once school starts. If they're not doing any school reading this year/semester, we'll probably start it and read it together. :)

11. sarahwilla

sarahwilla Rookie

Sep 12, 2014

you can refer a book called practical spelling they are available on online i hope so..

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 5, 2014

I'd highly suggest the book, The Writing Road to Reading. I am sure a used copy is almost nothing at amazon.com. No need to worry about getting the latest edition--it hasn't changed much. It is very traditional and very thorough. It helps out with spelling and reading.

13. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Nov 17, 2014

If you could get it, I would suggest Spelling City. It is an awesome iPad and Computer tool that helps the students with spelling and vocabulary. You can even give them a spelling test on Spelling City.