Sped Job interview 9/22 yikes

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wldywall, Sep 22, 2011.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2011

I got an interview for a special ed job for a .5 position my first interview for any job in over a year. HELP!! :help: Terrified here! I found out about it before it was officially posted three weeks ago, and they just called. So I look to see if it is posted.....well it is now, and they say they want a person highly qualified in math and english.....well I am not!

You guys saw my cover letter, that is the one I sent and I clearly stated what I am qualified in. Obviously the principal saw something in there he liked, but still, what do I say if they ask about the math??? I tutor little kids in basic math skills (more so in speed and memorization of basic math facts, but nothing else...I use whole brain teaching materials to do the tutoring!) This is for high school, I can't do algebra! I have math issues, I have to reteach myself math every year just so I can maintain the ability to do the family budget!!!!!!

Someone shoot me, I think I am going to screw this up?

What do I put in my portfolio? My social studies stuff won't do, do I put in the special ed lesson modifications I have done recently???

I have to leave at 9 am EST, so any help will be great before then!!!

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 22, 2011

I would be perfectly honest with the P about your skill set. You cannot fake what you do not know or understand. I would just explain that your areas of expertise are in... If the P asks about math instruction, you can be clear and say, that you would be willing to work with students in math. But your own knowledge and experience with math concepts is limited. You would need the proper training to adequately meet the needs of high school students and would be willing to get that training if the position were offered to you. Do not make it seem that you have a skill set where none exists. The key is to be honest and to explain where your strengths as a teacher actually are.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 22, 2011

how did it go???

5. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Sep 22, 2011

I hope the interview went well.

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2011

Oh, sorry. I got tired and took, what was planned to be a short nap, and slept until 8 pm.

It went really well. They liked all of my answers, they are a very small rural school (their grad class this year looks to be in the mid 40's, the biggest ever) and they do what is called prescriptive education, basically they customize scheduling and school day to fit the kids. So my approach to education, which is to individualize as much as possible made them happy. They asked what was the best way to teach special ed kids, and I said there was no ONE right way, it depends on the kids. When they asked what was involved in keeping track of a bunch of kids during a resource/directed study situation I said I would write down what works best for each kid (it helps me remember) and the rest was an elegant juggling act. They loved that answer.

I did specify that I am not certified in math or english, but an good at english...and not good at math. I did say that I would put whatever time was necessary to ensure I knew what I needed to know to help the students.

There is a chance it would be more than a .5 position, but as a 1.0 it would be shared with another district. So.....have to wait for call backs on Monday to see how I did.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 23, 2011

fingers crossed for you wldywall :) keep us posted