special ed transportation

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Dec 20, 2010.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2010

Can someone tell me if it's against the law to deny a child transportation because of their behavior, when it is behavior that is directly related to their disability (i.e. autism)?

This is happening right now and I just want to know what the deal is. Basically, the aide on the bus is not trained at all and yelps and yells when my student does anything, which (of course) makes it happen more often. So, if he bites her or tries to bite her, she screams, "Oh my god he bit me!" and then runs up the aisle, etc.

I do not ride the bus so I don't know the exact details, but I know the demeanor of the aide, which is not helping.
    At any rate, it's all totally attention seeking - everything he does is for attention. This morning he kicked the windows and she came to tell him to stop, and he didn't stop and then bit her. I mean honestly, just let him kick the windows.

He wears a four point D-Clip EZ-ON harness vest on the bus, for obvious reasons. They are having difficulty even getting him harnessed in because the aide is so afraid of him. I have ridden the bus a few times but not in the morning - and the scared aide is in the morning.

At any rate, I have written a plan to remedy this, have a token system to put in place, etc. but in the meantime, they called his mom and said she has to drive him to school!!!! (Is this not illegal???)

Please advise. I know there's nothing I can do - but I really think it's not right to trouble the parent when it's CLEARLY our fault for not appropriately managing the behaviors of a child with severe autism.

Now the aide filed workmans comp saying that he "thrashed" her. Well, he weighs like 50 pounds so I really don't know what's going on. All you have to do is ignore his behaviors and hook him in from behind and you're golden. There are some basic behavior management skills that I am going to try to teach the bus staff, because I know they provide NO training in this area whatsoever.

BUT I just find it odd that they're allowed to call and say he's not allowed on the bus for the next four days.

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 20, 2010

You cannot deny a SPE child transportation. Even the LD kids that are sent to alternative school MUST be provided transportation... or at least that how it is in our system.

Now, if he KNEW better and acted out anyway, then yes, I can see them suspending them, but if they don't know better or like you said the behavior that is directly related to their disability, then I don't see how they could.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2010

That's what I figured. They called his mom today and said she'll have to drive him until "they figure out what to do."

Um??

First off, I think the aides on the bus should have to go through SOME kind of training. I mean really. This is basic behavioral principles here.

I understand that not everybody loves children with autism like I do :cool: but I'm just saying, this is basic stuff.

Today I mentioned, you should harness him from behind, not in front, so you don't get kicked. (Oh really?? She was amazed with that suggestion and said she'd try it tomorrow).
    I mean it is NOT rocket science .

5. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 20, 2010

Yes, it is against the law when it is a manifestation of their disability.

They need to get someone on that bus who is certified in any techniques necessary to keep the bus environment calm for all students.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2010

Yeah, good luck with that.

They didn't even have an afternoon aide until about a week ago, and it's an aide from my school. So the bus has to sit outside until she gets done with her aide duties at school. Then she heads onto the bus and rides home with him. The bus brings her back to school.

The morning lady is a different story. I don't know what her deal is but she clearly cannot handle ANY (I mean any) maladaptive behaviors.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 20, 2010

If it is a safety issue and all modes of transportation have been tried, our district allows it. Our students get bus misconducts and after a certain amount they get an harness and if there are still issues they are removed from the bus and they are provided with a taxi. If the taxi company refuses to transport them, then I think they provide the parents money to transport their own child to school. I do know that some students are provided aides in the taxi but it really depends on the child's disability.

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2010

Oh gosh - a taxi. I can't even imagine. I can guarantee you that no taxi driver would want to take him alone.

The bus is at least a good deal because he sits in the very back seat and they keep the other kids away from him. He is really just looking for attention. He goes in and out of these spells where he's horrible on the bus for weeks, then he's fine for weeks, etc.

I guess we're a little nutty before Christmas... not sure.

But he's been fine at school!

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 20, 2010

Our bus assistants have absolutely no training. We have started having meetings once a month for our bus drivers and bus assistants to provide them with behavioral strategies.

Is the only issue putting on the harness?

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 20, 2010

We had a bus company (it wasn't a district provided bus)threaten the same thing when one of my students was "unruly". There was no aide on the bus since he was the only student. The bus driver was a timid old(er) man and I can see why he would be scared of the student but the kid had to get to school somehow. They finally got him a harness and then got a new bus driver although I think a trained aide would have helped. I hope this gets resolved for you, teachersk!

11. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2010

Well, the other day she managed to get kicked while the bus was in motion and he was already harnessed.

Weird thing is, I am wondering what she was doing within "kicks reach" of him.

I just don't get it. I haven't seen it enough to understand what's going on. But I know that he KNOWS which people are "afraid" of him, and then really goes for it. That's why we have control at school because his tricks don't work. On the bus, the aide is TERRIFIED of him and even says it out loud while he's on the bus "I am afraid to go near him." He picks up on this and repeats it later in the day ("Miss __ scared because of the kick, haha, Miss __ scared. [name of student] scared her today." etc.)

So, I mean there are other things other than the harness.

In our district, parents aren't allowed on the bus. I think that would solve it, if mom came on the bus and watched. She has control over him too.

Just like in the afternoons, I put the harness on and he has no issues whatsoever. Don't you love it when you have control but other people don't ? It's like good but bad. I am glad he listens to me, but we need to generalize that to other adults.

12. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2010

Today they mentioned arm restraints. I am thinking, this is a child here people! Can't we just teach the people to deal with him instead of tying him down??

13. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 21, 2010

Also, perhaps an FBA should be performed if the beavior continues to be an issue?

14. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2010

I can tell you without an FBA that the function is attention.

He wants people to look at him, be scared of him, restrain him, talk about him, stare him down, watch him struggle, the works.

I mean, think about it - there's not much going on on the bus, so it can't be escape. As far as self-stimulatory/automatic function, it doesn't seem like that would be the case being that it only happens during this specific time of the day with this specific aide (home aide PM works out just FINE)....

Plus, there is nobody to do an FBA before contracted hours. That's what's crazy about all this. The union stuff is nuts in NJ right now and for me to even be able to get on the bus with him (even though I totally don't mind because I Want to solve it) is above and beyond what the union normally allows contracted teachers to do.

Because of all the union stuff, I'm getting paid professional development rate, which is something like $65 an hour. It's because I'm "training" the bus aide and that's professional development. (OKAY, whatever!) :whistle: I just do what I'm told. I would go ride the bus just to ride the bus to get things settled and be sure people weren't getting bit - but the union rep at my school freaked out when he heard I was going on the b us, contacted the union, and ended up getting me that PD pay. I'll take it, !

So anyway... I start on the Tuesday after Holiday Break... made him a whole token system and wrote an entire plan for the aide to follow, if she's up to it....
    :rolleyes:

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 21, 2010

What about adding a social story to your plan?

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 21, 2010

Where does he sit on the bus. Maybe they could put him in the last seat, so after his harness is on, then the attendant has no reason to go near him until he has arrived at home/school. His mother could also stand outside of the bus as he is being harnessed/unharnessed.